1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 F250 rear brakes lock up

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by F250BLUES, Sep 26, 2005.

1. F250BLUES

F250BLUES Junior Member

Rear brakes slowly apply and lock up while driving...have replaced shoes, wheel cyls. hardware, antilock light is on. Only thing I haven't replaced is brake hose in rear...any suggestions?

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Have you checked the proportioning valve??? just a thought...

3. F250BLUES

F250BLUES Junior Member

I will try that...Is there an actual valve in there? never had one apart, Thanks.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

if the shoes are adjusted too tight the hotter they get the more they will apply. The proportioning valve is located on the frame under the master cylinder.

5. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

brakes!

Big shoe towards the front? Or adjusted to tight. Or leaky axle seal. That's my 3 cents.
    mike

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have an 89,it should be the same system as mine.
    Any brake pedal pump when applied? Did you have the drums machined and checked? Fronts are working and not needing bled or pins rusted bad? The emergency brake cables tend to stick, holding the brakes on more then needed. Smelling brakes all the time?

One key is the antilock light is lit. Look at the wiring at the sensor on top of the axle,also it switches off when in 4X4, so look at those wires too. I did a wiggle test while the ignition was on and my son watched the light. It was in the pig tail off the axle sensor,broken wire.