1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 f-150 2WD - 3 universal joints?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cjae, Sep 13, 2004.

1. cjae

cjae Junior Member

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Seems quite informative. Anway, just bought a 90 - 150, but it has three u joints, is this legit? Anyway, can anyone tell me how to replace them. easiest method?

Also, if someone could assurre me of the part numbers it would be swell. The place I bought them thought there was a mistake in manual.

I know the rear one I has is correct, but the middle and front ones are different. The front is a 2-4900 and the middle is a 2-4800. The 4900 has an eched out ring around the ends -same ends- and I would think the joint would be the same.

Sorry if this sounds elementary, but it is because of the lack of better terms.

Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes.

TIA
    CJAE

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if it is a longbed/extracab+shortbed then yes it will have 3 joints
    one at the transmission, one at a pillow block the driveshaft runs through (about 42" past the transmission) and a third at the differential

easiest way to get it out to be pressed is to take the differential end off first by taking the nuts off the u-bolts, then remove the pillow bearing block unit (2 bolts) then (depending on auto or manual) slide out the slip yolk or unbolt he joint like the rear one , install reverse of removal