1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 degree elbow a common part to break?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tilelayher, Feb 7, 2010.

1. tilelayher

tilelayher Member

Coming off the cylinder and connects to the hydraulic hose. I was out last night and the one on my left cylinder snapped so I called it a night went home extracted it with an EZ out drove 40 minutes for the 90 elbow. Put it on did a driveway for a friend and the one on the other side snapped right in half too. I understand the 1st one breaking it was original but the second one was only 1 month old. What would cause this part to break? It receives no direct contact and its pretty well protected. The 1 I replaced I decided to install a swivel elbow this time seems like a better idea.

Is this a common breaking part?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An impact of some type is what breaks the elbows normally. Either from excessive play in the ram mounting point allowing the ram to move enough to allow contact between the mounting tab and the elbow. On some mounts and A-frame combinations the elbow can strike the lift frame (while stacking) if there's no stops also. And some elbows are just cheaply made and don't hold up.

A fixed elbow is better than a swivel. Less places for a fracture or leak and the hoses will stay routed better too. Meyer was the big user of swivels for years and even they don't use them any more.