1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 Cummins Back-up Truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gusdust, Jan 25, 2009.

1. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Thinking about a back-up plow/ wood hauler. Wouldn't even consider such an old truck if it weren't for the cummins. Neighbor wants 3000 for his. He takes care of stuff and has used it primarily for hauling a 5th wheel. 180,000 mi., original auto trans. which I'm reading on this forum might be the weak point. I haven't really fly-specked the truck yet, but intend to do so soon. Give me your input. Anyone plow with one of these?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Reliable old trucks. How bad does it look? I would say if the truck is decent it should be worth $2500 - $3000

3. payton

payton Senior Member

check the rain guard area around the top of the cab.. early 90s dodge are well known for rusting there..

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Those old ones dont have tranny issues. They are kinda lower powered than the new ones that gave issues. That truck had 150hp and 400ft tourqe. PLus I dont think it had the 47re it had and old 727 tranny. So no overdrive. 3k buy it

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The drive line will outlast 3-4 bodys. The OD in the trans are the weak link, but the 1-3 gears never let go. Have two of them and have plowed with many trucks. The 93 diesel W250 is amazing in the fuel department.

WATCH OUT FOR MELTING BODY MOUNTS AND RUST ISSUES. Ever open a can of worms??

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We need pictures! I would say, like everyone else, the driveline is fine but the body may fall off. For $3000 I would buy it if it looked decent. Even though the motor should last forever be sure it is in good working order, they are not cheap to replace

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't buy it, could you please PM me?

I'd be very interested in it.