1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 Chevy 2500HD 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AtlasFBG2, Jul 4, 2001.

1. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Just bought this truck.It has 165,000 miles on it.Has a Myers 7.5 plow.Truck is clean,new tires,exhaust.Has the turbo 400 auto tranny.Just chaged all the fluids and everything looked ok.Interior is clean.The guy was a farmer and says he only plowed his driveway and the church parking lot.He was the second owner and bought the truck when it had 45,000 miles on it.It had the plow onit when he bought it.I paid $6800 for it.i plan on plowing my drive the nighbors and maybe looking into sub contracting.do you think this was a good or bad deal?also i work 4 days a week 10 hours a day.Has anyone been able to sub contract on the weekends only?Like be avaiable friday,sat,sun.i really bought the truck for hauling stuff like the mower to my mom and dads and other small hauling jobs.The plow was kinda an added bonus.I am new to this and am looking and reading every site i find.So forgive me if my questions seem silly. Thanks.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I dunno, around here that would be absolute top dollar for that truck.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about the price question since I'm from Canada (eh! ;) )
    but with regard to subcontracting for plowing services, I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible.

First off, check out the insurance situation. Again, I don't know the specifics for your area & state but quite likely others here will.

When speaking to whoever you plan to sub for, make your situation clear with regard to availability (eg Fri/Sat/Sun like you mentioned) and look into having someone that can be a backup for YOU if you or your truck/plow is "out of service" for any reason.

Get it in writing as far as contract/terms of payment etc, and don't be surprised if you're asked to sign a "non-compete" agreement (essentially, your assurance to your employer that you aren't going to go & steal their customers on them)

As far as the plow goes, check everything over now. Both the power pack/hoses/lift cylinder and the plow itself. Repair any cracked or broken welds now before they cause you real grief. www.snowplowing-contractors.com has lots of good info - check it out. Also do a search here at Plowsite under different subjects such as "Meyer" & "subcontracting".

4. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I went over the whole truck with a fine tooth comb.Only thing with the plow was a leaking coupler which i replaced and this ones got me stumped.when i move the blade to the left it works but when i move it to the right sometimes it goes right and sometimes it moves to the left first then goes to the right.I went over every electrical connection from the switch inside the truck out to the coils and cleaned them.Everything was in good shape.I then completly drained the fluid and replaced it.The Meyer dealer i got the oil from said yeah they sometimes do that dont worry about it.It kinda worrys me that later on maybe something will quit working on it.should this be normal?