1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90/10 Brine and Calcium solution

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lynden-Jeff, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Im having some trouble understand the science behind this and im hoping someone can help out with.

We are looking to use a 90/10 solution of brine and 30% calcium chloride. How does the 10% addition affect the solutions freeze point? How does the calcium chloride not get diluted beyond the point of effectiveness?

Ive never really understood the science of when calcium chloride is applied directly to snow and ice it does not dilute itsself to say a 25 or 20% solution quickly enough to become ineffective. The freeze point seems so sensitive with calcium chloride a small amount of dilution seems to have a big effect. Can someone explain this at all?

Thanks in advance

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

When I have sprayed Salt brine on a surface with its temp at 16-17F it gets wet then slushy quickly, then slowly goes back to wet.

When I have sprayed the 90/10 on the same surface it just starts melting the snow/ice,

I use 1 mix on everything down to a surface temp of approx 5F then if the temp or surface temp may drop, I spray straight Calcium.