1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9' pro plus on GMC 1500?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Shade Tree NJ, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Looking at a 2014 crew cab gmc1500, I know the western website says that the plow would not be to large but curious as to if it would be possible, if anyone has any real word experience. I know would have to beef up front end.

Currently run the plow on a reg cab f350, which western site says wouldn't work and is a beast in the snow, even the sloppy wet stuff we get here in NJ.

Thanks in advance

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

way to heavy for a 1500 truck.

3. Shade Tree NJ

Thanks for the quick response and disappointing news. Thought would be to heavy but figured see

Roughly 300# is that big of a difference?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

To heavy for the 1/2 ton.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You said the Western site says that the plow would "not be too large"??? Better check again, I doubt that.

6. Shade Tree NJ

*typo, people make mistakes sometimes
    Thanks for pointing it out

7. JustJeff

Just checking, because it didn't sound right. You said that you're "looking at" the half-ton. Are you stuck on getting a half-ton? If you just got another super duty you'd be set. Or if you are set on a half-ton, search Craigslist for a trade of some type, might not cost you any or much money out of pocket at all.

8. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

plus i believe that has electric steering which would probably blow up trying to turn with that weight on it?

9. JustJeff

GM has electronic steering now as well?

10. tjctransport

975lb weight of the plow would not be that big of a deal on a 1 ton. but since it is out in front of the bumper of a 1/2 ton, it turns into a big deal. 975 out there relates to something like 1500 over the front axle.

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

The killer here is I have a customer, he wants me to put an 8ft. on a f-550 mason dump. Tried to splain to him, not the best setup. But he knows more than me.

12. tjctransport

some people just know everything. i would put a 10 foot plow on the 550.

13. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Waste of a good dump truck.

14. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

I run a western 8.5 on a 97 gmc 1500. 3 years going strong throw about 500 pounds in the back and its good to go. front end is all stock and have never had a issue. plowed threw big storms on 20-30 driveways. but a pro plus on a newer truck is a little heavy. get a hts or a 2500

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

DO IT!!! Post Pics!!!! :laughing: