1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9' pro plow conv to skidsteer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pmrcco, Aug 26, 2011.

1. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

So this is what I have been working on, Its and old western that was on a dump truck I bought 15 years ago. The previous owner did some beating on this plow and some crappy fixes. The angle cyl's are different one is a 1" pin and 2" longer than the other which has a 3/4" pin. The A-frame to quadrant connection is wallowed out and very loose. The moldboard is slightly bent in the middle and probably wont matter. The A-frame had a cracked weld and one of the lower angle cyl mounts was broken off, multiple times, and horribly welded back.

To fix the pivot I used some 1.5" dom with .375 wall to use as bushings to strengthen the bearing surface of the pivot. I'm also picked up some 1" dom .125 wall ti bush out the odd cylinder.

Still need to plumb the hydraulics to get this done.

So I have a power unit, with the joystick, solenoid, and cables,....whats it worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

got the mold board painted.....

I know its not red but I have a ton of yellow

[​IMG]

Fixing the pivots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs to be rotated sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

5. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Wanna come fix my pivot?! It needs some major attention. haha

Looks good, good idea for a beat plow.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

The pivot repair looks great, should work well for you. I've done it on a few different plow now, including a few skid steer plows and will warn you on one thing: Make sure you clearance those pivot holes out (I typically go about .080 over) or you will be fixing the A-frame more frequently than you expect. There needs to be some play in there so the plow can adjust for uneven pavement, or it will just slowly tear the A-frame apart. You have plenty of surface area now to account for the wear........ Thumbs Up

For the hydros, now would be a good time to install a cross-over relief valve into the equation and have the hoses built to fit it. It will greatly extend the life of the plow & control collateral damage that unforseen objects buried below the snow can create. You'll likely want two restrictors in line as well to slow the plow angle down, as it's typically far too fast without them. I've had good luck just installing the ~$3 simple fittings that I drill out to 1/16". Nothing to break or fail on them.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Not the best pic, but you can kinda see how I did the last one............

Quad.jpg

Quad.jpg