1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9 mount harness to 12

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robber27, Jan 24, 2014.

1. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I'm wondering what's all involved in converting a 9 pin truck side harness to a 12 pin plow on a uni mount plow. I'm looking to upgrade my 7'6" to a 8'6" pro plow. The 7footer is a 9 pin hence the 9 pin truck side harness. Would like to upgrade if anyone has any info I would like to educated on the details. Thanks in advanced and happy plowing fellas. PS I would like to do this in a cost effective manner

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Why not just leave the truck and convert the plow? If u r free to rob parts just swap the cables to the 8.6. Both r straight blades with three valves right? This would cost nothing. Just a bit of time.

3. mishnick

Just to be sure... you are talking about an old uni with the two plugs at the grill right? Both the 9 and 12 pin were similar in the fact that the grill had two plugs. One for motor power and the other for all the lights and controls combined. There is a 12 pin system for the old MVP too, juts to be clear. But what we are talking about is a uni with the relays. Have a look at the parts poster. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/29013.04_110109_for_Web.pdf
    Look at the bottom right (Relay Electrical Components) item #26 In the listing they show item 26 can be a 9 pin SB (straight blade) or a 12 pin. If you don't want to strip the old smaller plow then just order this cable part number 61558 and install it on the bigger blade, then it will plug right into your 12 pin truck system. It's and easy cable to install too. Three coils and the two headlamp assemblies. Changing the truck over will be a lot more complicated and expensive. You could also convert this system to the later generation three plug isolation module but now you are talking all new cables for the plow and the truck. $1000 minimum, not what you want to be doing if you are on a budget.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

need more info to really answer your question.

but I imagine most common scenario is you have unimount 7.5 already on whatever your truck is, you bought - or are looking to buy - an 8.5 pro unimount to stick on your truck to get a wider blade. and the 8.5 was probably on an 03-06 chevy before, and that's not what your truck is.

If that is all correct, you could just swap the lights on the two plows.

5. mishnick

If it's a two plug he can't just swap the lights as the cable has the control wires integrated into it. But that's the general idea as I understand it.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, take the whole light set off each plow (complete with the harness all the way to the coils on the power unit and the plug), and swap them.