1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9' MC, slow moving, new filters, psi is good

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ddb maine, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

New to me 9' Mc came on a F550 I bought recently.

It wasn't functioning smooth so I dumped the fluid, replaced the filter/pick up tube. cleaned the three "valves" on the back side, new fluid....
    Not any faster, Warm its taking 5 seconds to run side to side, timed it. and the same to run full down to full up. Under load it can be to the point where I have to stop driving wait for the plow to turn and then continue driving, I am completely unable to lift the plow high enough to stack without having to stop and wait prior to getting to a pile. I realize its an MC but seriously?

Had a pressure test done and its running 1750-1800. The pump says 10" insta-act 2500 psi.
    should that pump be hitting 2500 psi. Fisher says no, but why does it say 2500 psi then.

2. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Ok, Does anyone have a 9' or 10' mc and would they be able to get a video of the plow. What I am looking for is the plow angled to one side while moving forward and while moving forward angling the plow to the other side. I can barely switch angles on the plow if I am moving forward. If anyone can do this it would greatly help me narrow things down. At least it would tell me if mine is slower or the same.

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

they are much slower than an hd fisher plow bye alot

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That seems god awfully slow, 5 full seconds from one side to the other? I'd crank up the PSI and see how she does.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've got a mm2 10' mc they are slow. The cylinders are huge and your pushing high vol of fluid. I'll time mine when i get a chance. One thing you might want to check is the slotted screw on the top front of the pump that controls the speed the plow drops.A couple yrs ago my plow would barely lift, pump was screaming. went to my dealer and he backed the screw out in 10 seconds and i was good to go. It will affect the lifting of plow also.Worth checking.

6. leigh

from CT

Just remembered the adj screw is the"Quill"

7. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Leigh, That would be great if you could time it for me. Do you notice a difference in speed between loaded and unloaded? (with and without a pile of snow in front)

and yeah bobby, its god awful. Once I get it going it will be awesome, but until that point..... its a big headache.

8. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

This is my first fisher, dont remember if I said that. I am going to try and release that a bit it drops a bit slow for my liking, If it drops faster would that enable it to lift faster? or slower drop is a faster lift?

9. leigh

from CT

Thats my understanding. If its adjusted to drop real slow it will also affect the speed it raises.when adjusted within normal range has no affect on lift speed.You can adjust so it drops like a rock!If you have it buried in a pile its going to have a tough time raising like anyplow. When i push into a pile and start to lift as you enter pile it will push to the top of its travel on its own.Compared to other "normal" plows that I have the mc stacks much higher with very little effort or beating on truck.Better than our blizzard 810, boss v , curtis.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I did notice that. If I start lifting far enough back to get it to ride the snow up the pile it does do some serious stacking. I just have to leave 20' of snow behind me.

11. leigh

from CT

I'll time mine tomorrow for you.

12. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

appreciate it.

13. leigh

from CT

pulled the stop watch out heres an average of speeds
    raise plow- 3.2 seconds. lower plow 1 sec.
    side to side starting from fully turned - 5.5 sec
    Here's a pic of quill,little blurry. Its the slotted set screw.

002.jpg

001.jpg

14. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Awesome. Ok so do you notice those times change if you are plowing a road and go to switch angles?
    I'll release the quill see if that will increase my lift speed. You are the man thanks for the info so far.
    Now I need to find a big wrench and get the packing nuts tightened. Not too much though

15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have an Western Heavyweight, very similiar plow. Like others have said they are very slow, cylinders are huge and I think they utilize the same pump as a pick up plow so it takes a while to fill up the cylinder. Mine is on a 6 wheel dump, wouldn't think of using it for lots, only roadways, maybe touch up, to bulky of a rig for anything else. I have an undergate on it, but it just sirs because I can't find a driver capable of running it, its sad, the guy I hired last year was salting the shoulder of the road, screwing up areas that were already plowed, missing areas.....but he had years of experience. Made me do somthing I swore I would never do, I fired him right before Christmas, I couldn't deal with him any longer. I have had better guys with no experience, at least they are trainable.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  16. leigh

from CT

Did you figure out problem?

17. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow my 7'6 RD has a 4000 PSI pump..I just looked at it today

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

According to the thread about insta-act power packs, all have the same operating pressure, and the 2500 vs. 4000psi only deals with the amount of force (when striking something with plow) before the crossover relief for the angle pistons comes into play.