1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9 ft blade on 1/2ton

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cmo18, Mar 12, 2008.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

hello I just bought a 2001 dodge ram 1500 that came with a 9ft fisher minute mount. The guy I bought it off said that this was the only size blade hes ever used. I'm worried that its gonna be harder on the truck been so heavy. What do you guys think? anything to look out for? I'm only plowing about 10 small to medium size driveways.
    Thks Chris

2. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

are you sure its 9ft -that will definately kill that truck-i know ,i had one and dumped it a year later

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would NEVER have bought a 1/2 ton with a 9 foot plow on it! That truck has been overworked and abused, I would either get a smaller plow ASAP or a different truck and plow will be in you near future guaranteed!

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

specially not a dodge, lol trannys are weak as balls.

5. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

thats just a bad idea that much weight on a 1500.. ouch that trucks probly been worked hard with that blade on it. what kinda plow is it?

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

the plow is a fisher minute mount...I read somewheres that the plow is only 26pounds heavier then the 8ft plow??true?

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

An 8" Fisher is even pushing the limits for a 1/2 ton truck. Word of advice: sell either the truck or the plow & purchase the right supplement to the side that you keep. Some moron beat on his truck if it does have a 9'

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Does anyone know a website that tells the weight of blade? and how much could i sell this blade for? all the hooks up are suppost to be the same as a 7'6 or 8 foot blade..

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.fisherplows.com/models.asp
    Sorry to be harsh, but are you sure you're up to the challenge of this business? You don't seem to be on top of things from your couple postings. The Fisher site has blade info readily available. The 9' HD is 745# and the 7.5' is 630# which is more to where you should be.

Plowsite, ebay, craigslist are 3 places to check on what people are getting for plows. Do yourself (& us) a favor and check them all out

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

buddy back down, i'm new at shopping for equipment. Didnt think it was a big deal, and I pulled a blonde moment. I've talked to a few guys who plow and a couple liked the 9 foot blade and a couple didnt. I'm just checking around. I'm not currently plowing with blade it just came with the truck.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 Boss plows:

7'6" Straight Blade w/ Boss wings
    8' Straight Blade
    9" Straight Blade

My personal truck, '05 Duramax, is front axle heavy due to the diesel engine. I usually put the 7'6" w/ wings on my truck to lighten the front end load and use the others on the gassers. Just what I do, I wouldnt have a 9' on a 1/2 ton.

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

First off, welcome to Plowsite! :D Now more harsh stuff, alot of new guys on here just blast out tons of questions without trying to answer them themselves. This place is a GREAT wealth of info. you can use the search, or all the ads at the top of every page are all links, like for Fisher.
    I would say ditch the 9 and get a 7.5 or 8. Even an 8 I would beef the front end. If your lucky can swap or even make some payup If you want to sit on that 9 you can likely get a good buck for it. There not as common as a 7.5 or 8, you should be able to get one easy.

13. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Rule of thumb.
    1/2 ton 7.5'
    3/4 ton 8' or 8' with wings
    1 ton 8' with wings or 9'

Just kind of the norm. I know a lot of guys that run 810 blizzards on 3/4 with out much for problems. 1/2 ton just isn't built for a 9' plow. Don't believe me? Just go look at the size of axles, drive train, engine options between a 1/2 ton and 3/4, 1 tons. It's not like you hear, size really does matter. You can plow with a 1/2 ton, but if you look at guys doing commercial work it will all be 3/4 and 1 tons for a reason. I will agree with all the other guys that said do your self a favor and get a smaller plow. Or get a big check book because you will be writing a lot of checks for repairs. It isn't just the 30% more weight hanging off the front of your truck, you can add bigger springs or timbrens for that. But it is the 20-30% more snow you are pushing with each pass.

I want you to be successful and plowing with a 9' blade on a 1/2 ton won't get you there. I was once a newbie too. Some people on here forget that they started out just like you and me. Well maybe some of them popped out of their momma's womb in a plow truck and kicked dad out of the driver’s seat after they got their umbilical cord cut and a fresh diaper on, but I doubt it.

14. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

^^ That was funny.

These guys are right. Unless the parts (drive train, springs, shocks, etc) have been modded and upgraded with beefier ones, a 9' blade and the amount of snow weight you'd be pushing are gonna murder that truck.

I'd try and sell the plow and get a smaller blade for the mount, if it was me. Either that or, if you can afford it, buy the smaller blade and keep the big one. If ya get really into it, then all ya gotta buy is the mount to go on a bigger truck for that 9' blade.

Just my $0.02

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Told this story before but here we go again.

A friend of mine is running a 8'6" Arctic Poly on his 1999 Tahoe. It has been on since new. He plows very hard and I would not lend him anything. His truck has had no more repairs then anything else around. This guy does next to no maintenance.

Your set up may not be the best choice but if you are ONLY doing the 10 driveways then run with it.

Everyone says Dodge has weak tranny's but it is the front end that I couldn't keep in my 2.

16. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Anyone ever cut a blade down? Why not? partner saw.

17. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

It could be done! I know of a guy who made a Western bigger. Just be sure to cut the same amount off of each side so it balances

18. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Why do this? Hell I would think all he needs to do is post in the wanted section. 9' Fisher for trade on a 7.5 fisher. I would think he could find someone moving up to a bigger truck that is wanting a 9'. I don't know about the Fisher but Hiniker uses all the same plow attachments for all their blades other than the actual truck mount. I would think Fisher is the same way. No point in re-inventing the wheel here. Just trade the blade. He might be able to make a buck in the trade?

19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

already on the truck i say run it unless u want to change it.
    run what u brung.
    can't be any worse than pushing a ton of the heavy brick snow with a 7.5 and half ton like we do around here. (or dirt)
    probably isnt good for the truck but plowing isn't good for trucks anyway.

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Nice to see another New Brunswicker on here, plowing season is just about up for us so dont be in a rush to sell the 9' footer for nothin cause someone will give you a good price for it.
    Check on Kijiji for a 7.5' blade, I have seen a few for sale this winter as well as in Nova Scotia, I have been serching for a year now for an 8' Fisher blade for my K10 Chevy and have had not one call, so remember your blade is worth some money.payup