1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9 cu salt spreader intall info

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by stlrsfnmack, Nov 19, 2009.

1. stlrsfnmack

stlrsfnmack Junior Member
    from qca

can any one help me find salt spreader install info for 9 cu one year old spreader thanks

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

tail gate? Go to their website. The install ... there is nothing to it. Fuse, hot/ground. That's it.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. jpickett

jpickett Junior Member
    from ky

LOL you forgot the part where you have to get the stock coated shaft replaced with a stainless one. Or go buy the new nifty poly bushing Sno-way has came up with to fix the rust problem.

5. scottL

Hmmmm. Second season so far a tiny amount of surface rust on one shaft. Do you have a link to this bushing or shaft replacement??????

So, far I don't see a need to replace either for a few more years. It's just been a great work-every-time salter.

6. bad69bird

bad69bird Member

X2. The problem that I have with mine is that when it get a load in the hopper, it leans forward. It then puts pressure on the material spreader (the black plastic piece) and slows it down. I have to hook two rachet straps (one to either side) and pull the unit back in the correct position.:realmad: Is there a bushing or something to correct this?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Other than that I love the unit and have made some good money with it.payup

PS. Sorry to hijack your thread.:)

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

two year old unit should have a stainless shaft, did you look at the bottom of yours to see if it had the poly block "bearing"? If not we have them in stock and they are an easy replacement if you do it before the steel bearing gets too corroded..

Do you have the factory 2 1/2" receiver? if so get a 2" adapter, we have them in stock.

8. scottL

Thanks Basher .... I'll take a look later this morning to be sure about the poly block.

As for the receiver movement ... I think the unit fits snugger than a slice of ham in an egg mcmuffin. Very minor movement. We do use straps just to ensure the play keeps in check as were plowing. But, it's nothing as bad as the westerns and fishers.

9. bad69bird

bad69bird Member

Thanks Basher! Yes, it came with the truck. Do you think that my movement could be a result of needing a new poly lock "bearing"?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Perhaps, easy to see, just lay it on it's back and take a look. They are part #96108409 less then ten bucks. have like ten of them in stock.

the reducer is #58012 $18.95 out of stock at this monment but it's due in today. Call first to be sure UPS has been here.

11. bad69bird

bad69bird Member

Thanks man! I'll give you a call tomorrow.

12. jpickett

jpickett Junior Member
    from ky

I do not have any part numbers for the stainless shaft. The reson is one is not offered for my spreader. So I had to make on. Just a couple feet of .75 solid stainless round bar and a few mins with a drill press.

Basher I thought the old OptiFlo were the only spreader with a stainless shaft. We have 5 Sno-way tailgate spreaders that all of the shafts had to be replaced due to rust causing bearing failures. These spreaders could have not been taken any better care of. Washed, dried and wd 40ed or fluid filmed after every use. Only salt used in them. Of what I have been told we were the first out of all to ever have any problems with the coated shafts and are the reason that Sno-way came up with the poly block. Heck I still have one that a rep cut out on a table saw for me from years ago.