1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9' BOSS on 2500 GMC?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bullettooth81, Aug 19, 2010.

1. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Anyone else running a 9' straight steel boss on a 2500 GMC? What are your thoughts on it?
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I've seen a 9' 2" Steel V-XT on a GMC 2500. Didn't seem to handle it too badly, although I think they did a lot of work with the torsion bars and Timbrens. What information are you looking for specifically?
  3. bullettooth81

I think my straight superduty blade should be lighter than a V. I just want to make sure I"m not asking for any problems. I know it is probably going to wear things out faster. It worked GREAT for me last winter and makes driveways a breeze, it back blades like a dream!

Just want to make sure I'm not alone.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't have a problem putting that blade on a 2500. It is 44lbs heavier then an 8'. I have a 9'2" V on a 98, a Western 8'6" V with wings on a 07 3500 and a Blizzard 810 on a 09 2500. I don't drive around with the plows on unless they are working and I grease the front ends every month. I have timbrens on the 07 and 09 and they are both diesels also.
  5. bullettooth81

I'm going to put Timbrens on this winter, I was impressed with how well it did last year without them and just tightening up the torsion bars a few turns. Everyone told me it was going to push my bumper to the ground, but honestly it only dropped about 1.5 inches without ballast and probably 1" with the ballast (850 lbs).

I also never drive with the plow unless it is working. The boss unhooks so fast and easy, there is no reason to keep it on all the time.

I also keep thinking about my cousin who runs a blizzard 810 on an old used up K5 Blazer! He is greatly under powered, doesn't believe in ballast weight, and constantly rams piles. He is stuck pretty much all winter or broke down. I'll call him my cousin twice removed now... :nod: