1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.6xv2 or XLS

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wilsonsground, Aug 25, 2013.

1. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

Alright, I'm not new to plowing here, but couldn't decide the best forum to put this under. But here it goes, my 8 years of plowing I've always had a straight blade. Last March I traded in my pickup and got a 2011 F350 crewcab with no plow. I was thinking of going Boss 9'2" this year but we had a storm just a couple weeks after buying the truck so I found used push plates and a 3 port module 2 plug system for a fisher to use my fathers 8.6xv. Yes I could just sell the fisher stuff and buy boss as planned but I'm in no mood to do all that work, not worth it that much to me. So here's my question...and I know a lot of its going to be personal preference...9.6xv2 or XLS? We do nearly 60 driveways in town as of now and a couple small private roads and a few small(30 min pushes) commercial lots between 2 trucks and a spreader. I'm working on transitioning to lots because I hate driveways, but that's where everybody starts. I want the 9.6V ovr the 8.6v because its just too small for a crewcab. But I want some honest opinions on both sides, not just get this or that. And no bashing on Fisher just because you prefer something else! Money isn't an issue either as they're both pretty similar in cost.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Coming from a western owner of WO's and a MVP, the Vee will stack higher. The WO is faster on large lots.

3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

From my own experience from clearing a logging road with about 18" of snow, a V plow is your best friend for breaking it open.

4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Driveways V, parking lots xls. I'd wait to see how the xv2 performs before buying one...

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't used an expandable since blizzard was still blizzard but I've got a ridiculous amount of hours behind a vee. The vee is great for getting in and breaking open roads and lots under heavy snow and ice. As far as the xls, I haven't used one do I can't comment as to its efficiency but if you've always run straight blades I'd think it would be pretty familiar.

6. Colton.P

Colton.P Junior Member

We use a variety of both. For a smaller company like you, I would recommend sticking with a straight blade. My guys keep their v blades in the straight mode 90% of the time. We do all commercial, and I like to keep the expenses down by using what functions, not what looks cool

7. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have both plows your looking at just in the western colors and have to agree with the above that the v is better for roads and driveways. And the xls is better in lots. ill add that i feel the Xls is better in big lots because you can angle while in scoop to carry snow around cars or corners if a v plow could do that then i feel a wide out would be useless in comparison but till then my wide out is my favorite. As for the vplow the reason i feel its better for driveway in my opinion it back drags better "cleaner' For reference 85% of my work is large lots 10% is driveways an every now and then ill get called in to plow roads, when i plow roads with the wide out i do not run the wings out i just use it as a 8' straight blade i fear hitting something an tearing a wing up. In the end you cant go wrong with either plow.

8. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the 9.6 v.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you pay your guys by the hour