1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'-6" Western V Plow For 2004 F350 Crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CENLO, Jul 12, 2004.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

Hey Guys, great site! I have been plowing for about 6 years and have about 60 contracts. I just purchased a 2004 f350 diesel, supercrew. I want to mount a 2004 9'-6" Western v plow. The book says that a 8' pro-plow is the only suitable plow for this truck.................no way! For the last 4 years I have been pushing an 8' pro-plow on a 2001 f150 7700#gvw (no problems) I have even carried that same plow on a 2003 f150 supercrew! What do you guys think? Everyone I talk to says to buy the 8'-6" v plow but for a couple hundred bucks and a 100# more weight why not a bigger plow?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

No personal experience with your set up but western/fisher will both say no way. I dont even think they want a 8.5 V on there. The ford diesel is a heavy SOB and a crew cab plus the diesel puts alot of weight on the nose. 100+ pounds is seen as alot more to your axel when its sticking out in front of you. Beter run alot of ballast in the back. I have a reg cab and a much lighter motor and I have to run 1000#'s to get my FAWR in check. It does handle it like a champ though.

I know you will be over the FAWR but will the truck handle it??? I guess one way to find out??? I'm pretty sure the pro and the V share the same mount??? Maybe buy the push plates and see if you can try hanging some different blades up front to see what your comfortable with? I think all the western pro and v push plates are the same???

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the ultra mount pro and v pushplates are the same, i know somebody that has an F-250 extended cab with the ultra mount and sometimes has an 8' straight blade and other times an 8.5V. He works for a landscaping company with a bunch of plows (most fishers) and they tend to switch up plows with trucks alot depending on the storm and whos around to work.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you put a 8ft blade on f150 that doest sound good and a 350 crew with a 9.6 sound really big i run and 8.5 max

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam not suprised that you had no problems on the 2001 F-150 but iam suprised that nothing happened to the 03 supercrew, ford does not even recommend plowing with that (Iam not saying that it shouldent plow). 8' is definately pushing it on an F-150 i have a 7'6" and thats the largest plow id even dream of putting on it. With the 350 id do everything i could to try to get a 9'6" on it but if it exceeds the FAWR then i would go with a smaller v blade.

6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I had an '00 F350 SuperCab with the 7.3l diesel and plowed for 4 years with a Western 9'0" blade. No troubles whatsoever.

A good suggestion would be to install Timbrens up front to assist with the weight.

7. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

2000 F350 with 9'0" Western Plow

f350plow01.jpg

8. ratlover

from IL

A 9'6" v weights a whole lot more than a 9' straight blade. No flames intended :)

9. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

9' 6'' MVP weighs #949 compared to the
    9' straight blade weighs837#

Thats a little over #100 difference

Wouldnt the 9' 6'' Mvp overload the front axle capacity of the crew cab with diesel?

10. ratlover

from IL

I believe a 9'6 would overload a reg cab for diesel? May want to check. It definatly is over for a CC. Weather it will work or not???

100#'s placed a few feet out acts way heavier. 100#'s difference in a snow plow is a big difference IMO.

11. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I run the 8.5' western V on the front of my 01 extended cab F350 PSD.
    I added a leaf to the front end to bring the front end up 2.5".

Ford and the plow manufacturers have to consider the weight of all the passengers in their calculations. That is why they don't recommend bigger plows on the extended cab diesels.

I don't drive around with 5 200 pound passengers, so I don't worry about a couple of extra pounds hanging off the front.
    Go for it.

12. CENLO

CENLO Member

I actually had the owner of the local ford dealer to sign a paper saying I was going to mount a commercial v plow to the truck. The truck is a lease and he signed it! My 2002 f150 7700# is my second 4 year lease. It runs with the 8' pro plow and I drive it hard. About 12 hours straight. And over the last seven years I have not had I problem!

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

imo the ford150 even with the 7700 package should not have a 8ft maybe a 7.5 rd

14. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I run a 8.5 MVP on my 03 F350SD/CC/powerstroke, with no problems. The only thing I did after a year was to put the 450 springs on the front.

15. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

8.6' Western MVP on my 04' F350 reg cab/long box.. 5.4 V-8..