1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'-6" V too big?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Nov 16, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm still hunting for a plow, and am wondering if the 9'-6" Extreme V is just too big for my truck. I am thinking yes, but Fisher says my truck will take it.
    2005 F350 crew cab short bed SRW V10 with plow prep. 11,000 GVWR, 5600 FGAWR, and 7000 RGAWR. I did install the 6K springs this summer, same ones that come with the diesel trucks. I realize I'll need good ballast too. Just wondering what you guys think that are out there running these plows? Will the edges even get off the ground when it is in V mode? Thanks, Nick.
  2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure I understand your question....Too big???
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thought that going too big or too heavy is a requirement in the plowing world. :laughing:

I have a 8' 6" XV on my F350 and so far love it. I have some smaller areas I plow so I didn't want the 9' 6". If you are doing mostly large lots I would say get the big plow. Don't know if it will drag when in V, mine will hit on some dips when in V. Some say you shouldn't transport in V position, I do it any way.
  4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

No its not to big. My buddy is running that set up and loves it!
    Shouldn't transport in V? Odd. I always do. Only way to travel with a V plow, IMO.
  5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Truck will handle it great. Old boss has one on his 05 250 5.4 with no issues.
  6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Will be fine on the truck, might be big for tight driveways and parking if that is the question.

ICE CREAM MAN Junior Member
    from MA

I am putting a 9'6" on my f 350 in a couple of weeks.
  8. oldmankent

How often do you guys go through ball joints? I'm just worried that it is f'ing huge. Anyone had any issues with dot cops and wide load type issues? Guy selling it said he runs it on a f350 diesel srw with a leveling kit. Just a bit hesitant on such a big plow. Although I'm ok with a 9, and this is only 6" more
  9. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Never had an issue with cops, not even with bigger equipment.
    Up here it is still a legal size width to travel on public roads.

Take the plow off when not used! Gives you a lot more life out of ball joints, etc.
  10. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I have a 2005 F350 single rear wheel 6.0 and put a 9.5V on last winter. Ran it for the 2nd half of last season and realized that it was just a little too heavy and pushed a little too much snow to make me comfortable. I could handle it and understand how not to smoke the transmission, but I was scared to put one of my guys in the truck who don't "get it" the same way I do. The truck pushed it fine and had plenty of power ect, but the extra weight seemed to be too much.

Long story short, I took the 9.5 V and put it on my F450 which handles it beautifully and just picked up an 8.5 V for the 350. The 350 is much happier with ~200 pounds less and steers much easier and with less effort now.

I'm not saying that you can't run the 9.5 V on a 350 single rear wheel, but I was more comfortable with it on the F450. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you go with the 9.5, just be careful and realize how much weight you have over the front axle and that you will wear out your front end faster.

Good luck!

11. oldmankent

Well, my engine weighs probably at least 300 lbs less than the diesel. I'm still a little hesitant about the size of the plow. I dont have a huge route, so I won't be carrying it all day everyday. I would be much happier with an 8.5', but this is what came up. Did you plow with the tranny in the tow haul mode? The thing with the 9.5 is it allows me to upgrade my truck to a dually which I plan on doing at some point anyway. How badly did the steering act with all that weight?
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Say what? A 9.5 too heavy and too much for the steering and tranny? I must be missing something.

I have 3 350's with SRW that have Blizzard 8611 LP's and have for 5 years on 2 of them. Those are 70#'s heavier than the 9.5 V. Had one tranny go out, but it had 100K on it. Not unexpected. No more or less problems with ball joints or front end wear or steering on those than before with different blades.

And FWIW, the 8.5 V is only 115#'s lighter, not 200.

One of those 350's had a 9.5 on it until someone turned in front of it.
  13. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i run an 9.5 extreme v on an 08 crew cab diesel and a two yard sander in the back. I did add timbrens in the front but truck handles it just fine.
  14. oldmankent

570 lbs of ballast says Fisher. That doesn't sound like nearly enough.
  15. oldmankent

Well, I am the owner of a used 9'-6" EXV. Seems to be in decent shape. I'm sure there are some things I missed when checking it out. Biggest issue is one of the inside cutting edges is bent. Can the edges be straightened out in a press even thought they are hardened? Some loose bolts here and there too. Going to download the instructions and hopefully give the thing a once over. If I don't have time, I'll take it to local guys.
  16. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Good luck with it! I don't have an answer on how the Ev-v.

To answer the other posts... The weight difference makes a noticeable difference on my truck. Not sure why, but it does.

Happy plowing this year!