1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.5' V plow on F250?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blee1ash, Dec 12, 2008.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a '97 Ford F250 HD and I'm looking for a used V-plow. I have not found any 8.5 footers in acceptable condition, but have found 2 - 9.5'. The 9.5 foot weighs 950 lbs, 60lbs. more than the 8.5'.
    Do you think this would be too heavy for my truck? I'm shure the 8.5' would not be a problem and at only 60lbs difference I don't think the 9.5 would be too much, but I'm looking for other opinions.
    I currently have an 8' straight blade that weighs about 725lbs and the truck handles it with no problems. When I raise the current polw and stand on it, which would equal about the weight of the 9.5' V the truck only squats about another 1". I was just wondering if the bouncing while transporting down the road would be too much.
    I think I would also add timbrens to the front suspension if I decide to go with the 9.5' V.
    Any one got any opinions, or currently have a 9.5' V on a F250?

THANK YOU!

2. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

I ran a 9.5 footer on my 92 F-250 with out any problems,but my truck had 3 leafs
    in the front,some only have 2.
    Mine was ext.cab long box,and handled the difference in weight fine compared to
    the straight blade i ran previous.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a 9 1/2' V on an F-250 dually and it handles it fine Make sure to carry ballast in the bed.
    I have a 8 1/2' V on an F-250 and carry 600lbs of ballast in it

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

:confused:

5. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It is a wrecker 4X4 conversion and works VERY well.