1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.2 vxt with broken spring

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bpminc74, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Anybody ever break a spring on their 9.2 vxt. The one that pulls the wing back. Brooke one today where it hooks into the eye bolt.The end where the nut goes on broke to. Plow was bout new last year. Is this somthing that happens often?

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

No kinda rare. Dont worry about it, grab a new one and i bet they never break again.

3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Could of broken for many different reasons..
    Wouldn't worry about it though. Just Replace it... Dont buy those cheap ones from the Local hardware... Always buy The Real Mccoy BOSS SPRINGS As said above, its kinda rare...

4. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Picked up a new one today. $40.00 for the spring. Thanks for the replies.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Not rare at all. Actually, it was enough of a problem for Boss that they redesigned them. The new ones should rarely break. If you paid $40, you paid too much. I think my last one was around $25. I'll check when I get my next invoice though, I just replaced one last week.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

12-20-12 broke both sides and not first time either I paid $45 for 2 Boss springs To me I broke more in last 3-4 yrs then I ever did I thought they made them cheaper or something

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I break a couple a year. I keep extras ones and extra eye bolts .You can still plow fine with it .

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Typically if you are going thru them like mad it usually means they are to tight. Good rule of thumb is to be able to slide a piece of paper between the coils of the springs. Any tighter you will start breaking them. And like Grandveiw said above, if you break one don't feel like your morning is shot. The plow will still function fine. Only your wing will move back very slowly.

9. grandview

Still plowed all night with it.

boss spring broken.jpg

10. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I break several a year but, never done what Grandview is showing and, hope I don't!!

11. grandview

Don't worry.

boss bolt.jpg

12. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I added a 2 1/2 inch ' ***** ' link between the eye-bolt and spring , just loose enough so spring wont fall off but still pulls wing back great . Never broke one since.

13. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

$25 for a spring? I will never understand why everything is so expensive here in Canada with our dollar so high. I guess it's time for some cross border shopping! I tried ordering parts online before but the shipping cost and duty charges were crazy.

14. grandview

I use any spring I can find at the auto store. These are Meyer springs,

15. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Im sure this following incident could happen to any spring, but Long story short
    One of my return springs broke off so i got a "Quick Replacement" from the local Mom and pop hardware During the next storm the "new" spring flys off and goes through a 2nd story window!
    Therefore i have never bought another "Off brand" spring!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I think that sliding the paper between the coil is even too tight - we make them only tight enough to retract the blade and not fall off. We've actually not been going thru them near as much by running them this loose, before it was a yearly thing - if one broke, we bought two cause the other one was days from breaking.

Return springs certainly aren't a show stopper, and given 5 minutes of practice, it doesn't even really slow you down.

Now a spring thru a second story window, they do wake you up when they break. Same thing almost as blowing a sidewall on a big truck tire, like a rifle shoot.

17. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 3 or 4 year old Meyer spring on one of mine. I think it cost 12.99 when I bought it.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know the paper between the coils trick is a common method. But for those that are new to it, more space between the coils means the spring is tighter........

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

How I set my new springs I dont think they are made as good as they use to be
    Mine broke in middle of the storm Plowed rest the night till morning

But I never broke one like Grandview

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic