1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.2 vxt cutting edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hotshot4819, Jan 20, 2010.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

okay, this may make me sound really cheap but...

Has anyone attempted Using the Old style cutting edges on the 9.2 vxt?

My idea is keep my worn down edges on, and put the old style ontop of them, would the bolt holes line up? doing this would still have some of a center section and curb gaurd...

I cant imagine buying another set of vxt edges for 450 bucks for the second time this year...

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

your replacing cutting edges 2x's a year, do you have the right attack angle set on the truck? do you rise the plow when driving down the road? not trying to be a smart a$$ but seems a little weird you are going through 2 sets a year.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as they're new enough to be punched with 5/8" holes they'll bolt on. But consider running a set of Xtenders rather than doubling up the edges, as the difference in height between the new and worn edges will reduce the effectiveness of the formed center gap coverage preventing snow from getting through.

4. hotshot4819

dealer has said the angle is correct...
    Ya, i raise my plow...

We do ALL commercial propertys, last year i went thru 3 sets....

so if i purchased just the old style the wont bolt right on over what i have now?
    now really concerned about a little snail trail here and there.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

"Old style" is a blanket statement because there's two styles of "old style" non formed edges. Those that are punched for 1/2" bolts and those that are punched for 5/8" bolts, which were used right up until the formed edges were released. So as long at they're the old style punched with 5/8" holes they'll bolt right on.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

They get a LOT of snow in NH, it isn't IL or IN for that matter!

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

Sorry I'm on my phone and can't see locations and other info that you would see on a computer, that would make sence though.

8. hotshot4819

b&b . Thanks,,, sounds like my idea will work.....
    its going to look slightly stupid, but, will be saving me 200 bucks a time.

9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Just wondering...What plows did you run in the past? And, how many sets did you gone thru then?

10. hotshot4819

Fisher straight blades, normally a couple a season.......

I understand i am burning thru these faster because when i scoop mode i feel like they wear faster....

but at 225 a side, it hurts.....

11. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

The old style blades will fit , but you have to drill and tap the mounting holes for the snow catcher shoe. I have done it with the plow on the truck , just needs a drill and 3/8" tap.