1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.2 RT3 with Smart Hitch 2: Stuff that Doesn't Work as Expected

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dodge DeBoulet, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

Mechanically my 9.2 Power V seems to be fine, but I'm not so sure on the electrical front.

The hand controller works as expected for the most part but two things bother me:
    • Pressing "up" or "down" twice in rapid succession doesn't do what I've read it's supposed to do, which is to raise the plow all the way up and drop it to float respectively.
    • It doesn't "sleep" after 20 minutes of inactivity (unfortunate that yesterday I woke up to a dead battery because I forgot to flip the power switch off).
    It looks like the plow-side 13-pin connector may have been replaced at some point; there's a splice in the bundle and an extra (ground?) wire has been added. Could that be part of the problem?

Did the design/behavior of the controller change at some point, i.e. earlier versions didn't offer the features I mention above, and later revisions do?

Just curious . . . I'm happy with the plow, but I'd be happier if this stuff worked too :)

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

What year is your plow? This is only an option on the newer smarttouch2 controller.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with it. Yours is one of the original Smart Touch controllers that didn't have all the handy dandy features. You'd need a ST2 to get them, but it's an expense you don't really need.

4. Dodge DeBoulet

Thanks, B&B (and Midwest BuildIt). Aside from those mentioned, are there any other handy-dandy features the original ST controller lacks? It seems to work as expected (both left buttons = angle left, both right buttons = angle right, both top = scoop, both bottom = vee, individual buttons do what you'd expect).

The lack of a sleep feature is going to get me again, that I'm sure of. You're right, though, it probably isn't worth $200+ to fix.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

BB,is it wired wrong that the control doesn't turn off when you turn your truck off?

6. Dodge DeBoulet

Good question. Thanks for posting it :)

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Needs to be hooked to switched power....

8. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

dittos with The GrandMasterFlash . needs to be wired to ignition on/off fuse pocket . or dont forget to off it yourself.

BnB is THE BOSS PLOW MASTER , if i had a problem , he would be the first to turn to.:salute:

imagesCA609NE2.jpg

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you definitely want it wired to a keyed only ignition source. It tends to be tough on things otherwise.

Truthfully if the controller works fine I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade. Save it for something else. :drinkup: