1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.2 power v stuck down. No functions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by alldayrj, Mar 8, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys
    I'm out plowing with my newer 9.2 power v. Just bought it used. It was working intermittantly and finally just quit. Controller is lit, all lights work, solenoid is clicking, but no functions. Smart hitch doesnt work either. What could it be? What should i check? I'm doing this from my cell so if you're free please call my cell at 5168594505 if thats easier
    Thanks a million for anything you can throw me

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I would check the solenoid first - if you have no control of the plow. No plow functions at all right?

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, cross the large terminals on the solenoid and see if the plow jumps/moves at all. If it does, you need a solenoid.

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I just had a similar problem with one of mine and it was the ground wire on the battery fixed that and every thing worked perfectly

5. alldayrj

Thanks for the calls guys, got it figured out with the previous owner.
    I appreciate it, i guess BOSS owners really are the coolest

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

A quick check to see if the solenoid is good - take off the wire to the pump motor and hold it to the other terminal on the solenoid. If the pump runs - you have your answer. Replace solenoid.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

That's good you were able to get it fixed fast. What turned out to be the problem?

8. alldayrj

I had to spray out the 13 pin connector with electric parts cleaner then dielectric it. it was working loose and sand and water were getting in there. the plug should really lock in like a trailer plug into your pickup. BOSS are you listening!!!

Its doing it again and nothing I do can make it work now, so thanks to smarthitch, its stuck on my truck. is there a way to get it off manually? yank on those pins like old boss plows?

Can you use too much dielectric?

The solenoid is clicking, that means its working right? The lights are all on and work, the controller is lit and goes into float, but nothing else.

I'll try that solenoid test after I eat, this thing is really pissing me off. It was working fine for 4 hours, I drive a half your home and drop the plow and nothing

9. alldayrj

this thing has a damn ghost.
    I just went back out as its getting dark, jump the solenoid and nothing. unplug and replug the plow 3 times(which I already did 20 times) and it works no problem. so the problem has to lie at the connectors unless its pure coincidence. guess I'm changing them out before next season

10. maxwellp

Just because the solenoid clicks does not mean it works. Jump the pump wire to the other terminal on the solenoid and see if the pump runs.
    Yes you can get the plow off. Put the locks in to the off mode push back on the headlight bar and the pins will pop out. Then it will come off.
    If the plow came down and all the light work it sounds like you have the plug cleaned out. No you can't use too much dielectric grease. I clean my plug after every snow storm. But then I take the plow off and not hard to do. If you put the grease on the sides that slide in, it will keep most of the water out of the pins.
    From here it still sounds like a bad solenoid.

11. maxwellp

Ok
    If you jumped the main battery wire to the pump wire and the pump did not run you have wire / wire connection problems or a bad pump motor.

12. maxwellp

If the plow is newer one it also has a ground wire on the pump motor instead of grounding though the pump case.

13. alldayrj

Well the pump motor wouldn't work intermittantly, its either dead or not right?
    I'm almost positive its the 13 pin plug

14. maxwellp

The pump gets its power from the 2 pin large plug.
    You can get new 13 plug ends to replace the bad ones.

15. alldayrj

Right. Unfortunately i worked on both plugs at the same time so I'm not sure which one it is. If the lights get power through the 13 pin and they worked throughout then i guess the problem lies in the large 2 plug?

16. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

My connectors were loose, I bought the plow used and put a new harness on my truck. Went to boss and bought 2 new plow side connectors and the new fit is 100x better. Pretty cost effective and they give you the nice heat shrink butt connectors along with a big sheath of heat shrink to go over the connectors. Took about 20mn total. iirc they were pretty cheap too.

17. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

Mine does the same thing and it is the connection for the large cables.

18. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the pins to see if any are broken or bent, could be the problem. Also - don't go too crazy with the dielectic grease in the plug. To much and when it's real cold out, the grease will become stiff and make it difficult to press the main 13 pin plug together.

Resulting in pushing too hard and the pins in the plug not lining up right.

19. alldayrj

I spoke with B and B on this, he agrees on the dielectric and also its the large cables. Fix is in the works soon but the plow is getting put up for the season soon anyway

20. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If you don't fix it now, you will be in the same boat when the first storm hits next year.