1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9-2 ploy elec problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mine496, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mine496

mine496 Junior Member

i'v got a 9-2 Polly on a 00 ford 3/4 ton 5.4l shortly into plowing if i move the plow the radio dies and when i let go of the bottom it comes back on. nothing else goes off not even the heat. can anyone help?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had the same problem .You better get that battery replaced.It would show a charge but one of the cells went bad in it.I replaced it with a beefed up one and no problem since.And if you have your gauges go flat, your plow and everything will keep working it's just running off the battery I believe it fuse #46 at least in my 02 F250 ,and it's a mini fuse.
  3. mine496

mine496 Junior Member

boss ele problem

i will have the battery checked but the gages do not go flat with the plow running. the volt meter does drop a little but not much the other thing i noticed when hooking the plow up i had the truck and plow about 1/2 in apart sparks came between the plow mount and plow frame is this a bad ground on the plow it self if so ware to look? any help?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have a poor ground path between the truck and plow. A poor ground will cause the plow to pull an excessive amount of power...and on a Ford the first thing it affects that the operator will notice is the radio. :nod:

Never hurts to have the battery checked as well if it has any age on it.
  5. mine496

mine496 Junior Member

is the poor ground path between the truck and plow in the main ground in the harness?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could be anywhere between the two. At the connector plug itself, where the ground cable is attached on the plow, or right at the battery itself. Need to go over them all.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's not readably noticable replace the entire ground, they break and corrode inside the cover and just eat up current.
  8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

B&B, the poor ground and the sparks flying seems to be a common theme with the BOSS plows. Is it a common mistake on the installation, if so what is it? Or is it something to do with the BOSS specifically?
  9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

my 9.2 poly v has a little bit of sparking when you hook it up but i dont notice any abnormal power draws with heater on, radio on, cb on, 2 strobe beacons and back up lights on...

its an rt3 btw

b&b would you still suggest i go over all grounds or is a little bit somewhat acceptable? :drinkup:
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's actually the whole reason Boss went to the two terminal motors...helps eliminate that very common issue with the poor grounding through the motor body or the light tower (as the older one were). With the two terminal motor you have a direct ground path directly to the motor internals. If you find sparking between the truck and plow with the two terminal motor then you have a ground issue on the truck side (batt terminals usually) or in the power cable connector body.
  11. mine496

mine496 Junior Member

boss elec problem

i will check tomorow on the ground and let u guys know thanks