1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9.2 Draining batteries?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by milwaukeevtwin, Jan 14, 2012.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Well the new Boss 9.2 vxt was working fine for a little while. Worked fine yesterday for an hour or so. After a couple hours I got a call and the driver said the plow was making a louder noise. He checked hydro fluid everything was fine. Shortly while still on the phone with me he said the amp gauge was reading low. He started to loose power and truck died. I have a 250 amp alternator and 2 batteries this is why it took a little while. He unplugged plow got a jump and truck runs fine. I took plow off and ran on another truck for a couple hours and I will say the pump is a little louder than my other boss i bought last year but everthing went fine after a couple hours. So plow side seams fine. Wring side on truck must have issues?
    Where do I start? Anybody ever have a problem like this? Any help appreciated? Something is drawing juice?
    Thanks, Ron

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did you ck both batterys seperatly??? ck the alt??? im thinking that the alt is going/is bad

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm not sure about the plow making noise part, maybe 2 problems going on there...Yesterday my plow started working intermittently. I had to get jump started twice after my spreader finally stalled the truck out. Did a volt reading on the alternator & it was showing around 11.51 - 12 volts. Got it back to the shop and tested it again...this time it was running normal, which will probably be a hassle when I return the core for a warranty claim because they always give me a hard time when something works intermittently...put the new one in and it's been fine since...showing a reading of 13.2 volts.

The guy at the parts store said my truck must have issues because I just filed a claim 14 months ago. :rolleyes: I didn't mention the 2 new computers, engine harness, sensors, electric fan & fuse block replaced in the past 11 months.

Anyone want to buy a new truck?? It's an 03, but the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the door handle.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  4. milwaukeevtwin

truck

I have not had time to check anything yet. Just thought I would throw it out there and see if anybody had this before?

5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

My 8' RT-2 is doing the exact same thing , I tested the batteries , and cleaned up all power connections . It seemed to be okay after that , till I went plowing this morning . Same o same o , I have a 140 Amp alt. coming Monday morning . I think I'm going to upgrade the power cable plugs too , to the Anderson power poles . Crimped connectors dont hold up very well , I'll solder the power poles , might even go to heavier cables under the hood . I can let you know monday evening how it worked out , if you'd like . I'm glad I didn't have to do my whole route today , it would have taken all day and probably kill my batteries too ! ussmileyflag

6. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I would expect that you have a charging issue, be it from the alt, bad grounds on the truck. failing batteries. i would have the batteries tested by a carbon pile tester and test amp output of the alt under load-- mind i said amp output not voltage. a true measurement of charging is amp output. Also don't forget to check the cables from the alt to the batteries. good luck.:waving:

7. milwaukeevtwin

Still having issues help b&b?

1996 3500 Nev 9.2 Boss. New 800 cca Batteries. All wiring 2 gauge wired like sticky. New 200 amp alternator. Everything checks out better than good on truck side. 3 hours in we had to un plug plow to get truck to charge? What a pita. We could not do out commercials had to keep unplugging it. Motor on plow? Drawing to many amps? Is this next? PLEASE HELP? Ron 815-742-7328

8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

B&B said the motor should draw less than 240 Amps against the relief valve . I did the draw test on mine and it was pulling 225 Amps , so she's getting a new Alt . First issues I've had with this 6 year old plow , I'll get to the bottom of it , one way or the other . I'm probably going to install 2 Ga, cable with power poles on the truck side next , if the Alt. doesn't cure it . Which Alt did you put on ? I didn't have the sheckles for an AD-244 so I went with the CS144 , still a major improvment over my worn out CS 130D 105 Amp. !

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to amp test the plow motor. And if your using a lot of functions and not driving to recharge batts. That could be issue as well. And are you trying to angle plow on the ground with snow on it?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto on an amp draw test so start there. And don't overlook any loose connections at the motor either.

11. bossman34

bossman34 Member

Don't forget to inspect the main wire from the alt to the batteries. A 200 amp alt may be able to put out 200 amps but that 8 gauge wire isnt rated to move it. You will end up with burnt hard wire.

12. milwaukeevtwin

Fixed?

Up above, ALL 2 GAUGE. Well I got pissed off because it was costing me money. So I unplugged the plow headed to the boss dealer and after running the plow for a while they found the solenoid to be bad and sticking running all the time and drawing juice. This was a brand new plow with all the wiring and solenoid. Cost me money and time, Sucks, But I hope it is fixed. Most of the time I figure it out myself. The problem never accured when I drove it, Just my driver. Beware of the new solenoids.
    Bye the way. Just for information. two batteries 200 anp alternator and 2 gauge wire upgrade took 3 hours of plowing to drain and dye. Pretty amazing what a proper system will do.
    Thanks, Ron
    www.professionalimagesllc.com

13. rickbays

rickbays Member

when it happened to me the solenoid was acting up.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A good operator should have easily noticed that Ron, 200A alternator or not.

15. bossman34

bossman34 Member

yup any good operator should have noticed the pump running all of the time. At any rate glad ya got it figured out.

16. milwaukeevtwin

plow

I hired a driver not a mechanic. LOL No all and all it did not happend all the time that was the problem. Once in a while. And that would drain it enough. Problem fixed. Hopefully Time to make some money, Tomorrow.