1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9-2 Boss VXT on 05 Dodge 2500..good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 4x4Farmer, Oct 29, 2012.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I have a 05 Dodge ram 2500 quad cab with the 5.9. Have always ran 8-2 boss vplow and never had any front end issues. I found a really good deal on a 2 year old 9-2 VXT. Im a little concerned about the extra weight. I have timbrens in and always run about 1200 pounds of ballast. If you would have asked me 2 years ago I would have said I would never put a 9-2 on a 3/4 ton...but now im rethinking it. Wondering what you guys think. I know everyone has there opinion...but Im kinda looking for proof. If you run a 9-2 on a 3/4 ton what have you found?

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 9'2" boss flat top V on my 2500hd with the dmax. No adverse effects really- 8' or 9' no plow is friendly to the front end lol.

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

thats true

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My VX95 is wider and heavier than the Boss and my truck handles it just fine. My V10 is also very close in weight to the Cummins, after a year of plowing with it I don't have any ball joints/tie rods/hubs etc to replace in the front end either.

If you have timbrens, you'll be fine - you'll just wear out some front end parts sooner is all.

5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Depending on how hard you plow you will end up replacing the front end ball joints and rods, we push snow past the curb here and I don't jump the curbs hard at all and every year have to replace them. Never had to in my ford. If you can afford it replace the upper and lowers with mog ball joints. Last alot long.

6. plowguy43

Carli or dynatech are the best-one and done but are nearly a grand for the set.

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Well I did it. Bought the 9-2 vxt. I hope we get so much snow my ball joints are shot by January. lol

8. plowguy43

Nice we need pics!