1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9/10th mile long driveway..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I was asked to plow a really long driveway that is just a tenth of a mile under a mile long. I do not really know what to charge for that around here.. I live in nh and i know some people in different areas will say to do it for like 5 bucks but im not so sure about that haha but i would just like a fair and reasonable price to quote them.
    It is a single home so i feel bad charging what i normally would if there were multiple houses on that road. they are not hurting for money so Im not too sure what i should charge. I would be doing a per storm charge, unless it is over a foot and then i add on $25. It is all gravel and right now it is extremely icy. its about 16 feet wide and opens up a little at the end next to their house
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Two passes in, and two passes out. Shouldn't take more then 15 minutes or so, plus drive time. You should be able to do the math and figure it out from there. This is all assuming you have a 7.5 or 8 foot plow.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Charge them the same as if there were multiple houses. Its their choice to live where they do.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

$75 is fair.

5. kj330

kj330 Member

my price here in ct on one that i do. it is 1.2 miles long and paved. 1-6"=150.00 (cash) 6-12"=225.00 (Cash)

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I would start at 125 and go up from there.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Minimum - $100. Add for curves, hill etc.

8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

drive up, collect check, drive back....... 2 passes, should be sufficient. 1-5" 150 ,.,. 5.1-9" 200 ,.,.,.,.9" plus 250 ?? how far away is property?

9. kj330

kj330 Member

i forgot to add on mine there is a couple good corners...

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I do one that is a half mile. Winding, twisty, downhill to the lake. At the bottom is a garage area, basically a regular drive. One pass in, clean up the garage area, two turn arounds. One pass out. The road is in very good condition, it scrapes clean. Takes about 20 minutes usually.

I get $90. A typical driveway around here starts at $30.

Sounds like great money, but I could do three driveways in the same time, with much less risk. This is the kind of place that if I went off the side, it would probably be a half day getting out. By the time I got someone else to plow it, sand it, get the wrecker in there......

This is the same price for at least three years. I will likely go up next year, or try to get her on a contract for the season.

You could start by asking what they have been paying.

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah there are quite a few turns, a couple of them are almost 90 degrees. and lots of hills too. Just yesterday driving down to see it i slid down a whole hill with a sharp corner at the bottom and almost went off the side. There are big ditches on the sides and a couple small brook crossings that can be dangerous. I would consider it a big risk driveway of getting stuck pretty badly.
    I would say that it is more than one push in and one push out. Probably a push in and out and then one more to make it a little wider.. and then clearing up his actual parking area and the road entrance.

I am getting the driveway from a good friend of mine who actually hashis own business but does all town work and this guy needs it done throughout the storm and not just at the end. the guy giving it to me said that it should be at least a 150 driveway. but i would like somemore input before i bid that amount. Dont forget that this price is for any amount all the way up to 12" of snow and then an extra 25 or 50 for over a foot of snow

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If he's been getting 150 I would stay with that. Get some good tire chains. Do you have a Vee plow?

Why is it so icy? Has he been plowing with shoes on?

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

nah i have a 9ft straight blade. but yeah its so icy because we have been getting a lot of storms where we only get like an inch or two and he only wants it plowed for 3 or more.. we got like 5 of those randomly that get pressed down in between storms.. and yeah he plows with shoes on because he only does roads for the town and then last week we got a lot of rain and then it all froze that night and turned the snow into ice. its been slightly warming up in the day and then freezing again to add more ice

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

From your description, I amend my advise to MINIMUM of $150. And that's if you have chains and for EACH push - absolutely don't wait for buildup of more than 4-6". You'll get bogged down with the wet & heavy ones. Mark the edges.

My suspicion is you're getting it cause the owner thinks you'll do it cheap. Be careful.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A road like that has to be plowed on YOUR terms. Basically, if it snows, you plow. No shoes. You are looking at the results of being cheap.

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

yeah i agree that i should be keeping up with the snow, that is usually what i do anyway. I do not have chains but i do have an f350 7.3 diesel with a two yard sander in the back so i get fairly good traction, and the thing will push through a mountain.
    So I think I am going to go with 150 per storm, i try not to get into the per push because i have 22 other accounts that are all per storm and to mix two different means of billing can complicate things.. The guy who plows it now actually got his dump stuck down there last storm.. he slid off the side of the drive and needed to get pulled out.. What would you guys charge to sand/salt this driveway? because he is definately going to need it. eventually but doeesnt want to pay for it all the time. sand/salt is 55 a yard and 25 minutes away from here..
    Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated. you guys are great at responding quickly with lots of information

17. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

did u mention how far it is to the location as that can add a huge expence! i hit the inlaws place for cost n its 20 bucks a push do to fuel?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would price per storm. Same for two inches as ten inches. Unless it's over 12 inches or snows for more than say 18 hours non stop, then extra.

I usually charge about the same for sanding as plowing, maybe a little less in this case.

Good luck, swallow your pride, get some chains.

19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

This driveway sounds like a real pain in the kester............... I can certainly see that you could get an hour plus tied up in this in any normal storm. I think if you get a couple of bad storms in a row you are going to find the frozen banks you have created already are going to hem you in, and you are NOT going to be able to plow a 20" without having a V for that first pass and you certainly going to need a good set of chains, when it is icy and you need to push a foot, up some of those hills .............. all in all I really think you are going to need a $150 minimum to plow this and if its over 12" of wet snow you will need a$75 bump to protect yourself. You get three bad ones in a row and you will need to rent an Oskosh to push the banks back so you can plow again with your truck!!!:dizzy: I bet before its all over it will become a pain in the a**.:eek:

20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

yeah i know what you mean about getting chains, it will probably be a good idea to get some:nod: I guess the guy who did it last year only did it for 75.. but he stopped doing it because he didnt think it was worth it anymore and got stuck a few too many times. But he was only plowing with a half ton with a small plow, said it took him too long and just thought a bigger truck should be doing it.
    I just wrote up the quote for 150 per storm, with an extra 50 if its over a foot. and 125 for sanding/salting when called (probably only once or twice a year, Because he doesnt want it unless ABSOLUTELY needed) . I hope that is good. I think he might be a little upset with the jump in price from last year but ohwell.:drinkup:
    And not to confuse anyone, the guy who did it last year is a different guy than is showing me the driveway, he only plowed it this year temporarily as a favor for the same price as the guy last year. He said he wouldnt take it on for less than 150 but he plows roads and doesnt have time