1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9 1/2' VF plow on 3/4 ton Chevy?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by mlars, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mlars

mlars Member

Has anyone run a 9 1/2' VF plow on their 3/4 ton Chevy? I've got an '01 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L/Allison and Timbrens. I ran an 8 1/2' VF last year and loved it over my Boss. Looking in the Hiniker literature the 9 1/2 is only 36lbs. more than the 8 1/2'. My Hiniker Rep was hesitant to say he'd put one the Chevy but said he'd run one on his newer Ford F-250 Super Duty. Just wondering if anyone had some real world experience to share.

On a side note, is there anyway to get these plows to drop lower? I have 1 approach that I leave a little pile at the top because it won't drop as low as my Boss did.

2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

At first thought I would say no way. Unless you have some serious weight and fresh studded tires. But even then I think you'd b asking for trouble from your drive train.

3. mlars

mlars Member

Is the Ford drivetrain that much heavier duty?

4. ducaticorse

from we

That I dont know. What I do know is that I plowed 2 years ago in a dodge 2500 and in the heavy stuff my 8 foot blade wouldnt push so great compared to my one ton dodge dually dump 3500 with a 9. I couldnt imagine adding another foot and a half while maintaining effectiveness in a 2500.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

sure it can be done, but should you do it? I would say no, just cause you can, don't mean you should.

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it and not think twice. Usually difference of another 1' of plow only adds ~40-60lbs depending on the plow. When were talking about putting 800-900lbs out in front of a truck does 60lbs really make that much of a difference? Add some weight in the bed as ballast and it'll be an animal in the snow. For what it's worth I hang a 9' V off my truck and I have the same front end rating + the extra weight of the dmax and it handles it great.
    ***Edit**** I see you already know how much more the 9.5' weighs lol

7. ducaticorse

from we

Has nothing to do with the weight of the plow itself... Its the added surface area that is the issue..... That should be painfully obvious. If your truck doesnt weigh enough, it doesnt have enough traction. I'm not a plowing old timer, but ive been around longer than my posts may suggest. You cant push a 9.5 blade in NE snow with a 3/4 ton.

8. mlars

mlars Member

Umm, yeah, that's why I asked the question. Thank you though.

I hear you hear and am not disputing you at all. But then I'll ask if the snow is that heavy (where I'm at in MN it's usually not until we get that March storm) does it really matter if you have an 8 1/2' or a 9 1/2'? I don't know, obviously the type of snow will make a huge difference. I can't push a full width of heavy wet March snow with a 8 1/2' very effectively either.

So heavy NE snow is a no. Anyone closer to me have anything to add?

9. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

why bother? the 8 1/2 will cover your tracks easily

10. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have a 9.5 vee on my Chevy 2500 hd and have no problem pushing 8-10" of snow. I run 245's and about 600-1000 lbs of ballast depending on how much salt I've thrown

You will definately notice how much quicker you get done than with an 8.5

11. mlars

mlars Member

Speed.

It tells me I have to enter at least 10 characters so here they are.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure the 8.5' steel V weighs more, I'd do it

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd do it, it'll plow just fine. A one ton SRW would be almost identical.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

The front end IS the same, the only difference is an extra leaf in the rear and different size tires and rims

15. ducaticorse

from we

Not too sure about that. I believe the axles may be a higher grade, heavier duty type as well as the front end components, balls, u joints ext...
    Could be wrong about that though.

16. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You are wrong , the diffrence between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is huge , the diffrence between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton is very small. On a GM its a extra leaf in the rear , same ball joints tortion bars everything.

17. ducaticorse

from we

I have two ford 350's, and my axles are thicker than a 250 :)

And actually JMAC YOU ARE WRONG.

Depending on the configuration of the motor/tranny and year, there is a difference in the size of the rear end on the chevy 2500HD and 3500. Now, the standard 2500 to 2500HD is a whole different story, many differences there. So, in closing, you are wrong in saying that the only differences between a 2500 and a 3500 being a leaf spring. Helps to do some fact checking before making a statement like that. This took me five minutes of research to find out. Have a nice day!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

The OP stated he has an 01'HD with a 8.1 SO the only differences ARE a leaf spring in the rear and the rims/tires are larger on a 3500.

Just to clear it up a 2500hd with a 6.0 comes with a 10.5" ring gear, 8.1 and 6.6 come with an 11.5". A 3500 has an 11.5" no matter motor size. This took me no time of research to find out I already knew it. Have a nice day

19. ducaticorse

from we

To be clear, JMAC simply stated there was no difference between a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton besides a leaf spring. We have shown that to be FALSE depending on year, model and engine / tranny config, CORRECT?. Perhaps if he was a little more specific when he was calling me out for being wrong, I wouldn't have written what I wrote to clarify. And BTW, you forgot all about the standard 2500. Have a nice day...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

In 2001 they only made one 2500 , admit your dead wrong .