1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9 1/2' mvp on 2500HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by C & D, Aug 18, 2004.

1. C & D

C & D Junior Member

Is any one here running a 9 1/2' western MVP on a chev 2500hd, I am curently running a 9'2" boss vee and am not happy with the back drag performance and would like to try something better. The MVP is only 30 lbs more than the boss so I don't think weight is an issue, an 8 1/2' is to small for me.I am also looking at blizzard but the nearest dealer is 100 km away. Any advice would be appreciated.

Corey

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would not put a 9 1/2 foot blade on a 2500hd 8ft maxium maybe a 9ft on a 3500

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I am running a 9'6" fisher v on my truck. It handles it like a dream. I didnt go boss because i dont like the tripping performance or seeming lack of on thier v blades. I have a reg cab though, duno what you have? I also have a duramax allison witch adds quite a bit of weight. 900-1k ballast in the back and timbrens up front. 2500HD as you know is a 1 ton, there is no difference in any of the front end or front frame between it and a 3500. If you buy it get some spare cutting edges for it because the factoryy trip edge wears fast. Also make yourself a snow deflector outa some converor belt.

If your main dislike is in the back dragging though maybe a back blade would be best if you do lotsa back dragging?

Like I said my 03 reg cab duramax 2500HD carrys the blade like a dream and I really like the fisher(a yellow western or western is a red fisher depending how you want to look at it, they roll down the same line).

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not get a new plow just because i did not like backdrag performance, to me it would be too much trouble and $ to change plows without changing trucks. I agree with ratlover a back blade may be a good idea if you need the good backdragging performance.

If I had a 2500HD i would have no problem putting a 9'6" V on it either.

5. ratlover

from IL

oh....are you anoyed with the wings floping out on you when you back drag??? The fishers dont do this. The boss does make a different set of angle cylinders that supposedly help this though, may wana look into those if thats your problem with it.......

6. C & D

C & D Junior Member

Thanks for the input so far, I am going to swap the boss too my second truck and put a new plow on mine so cost is not a big deal. I have a sander in the back so I cant run a back blade and some of my sites are very tight so I don't want the extra length. Any other advice or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Corey

7. C & D

C & D Junior Member

Ratlover I am very anoyed with the wings floping in and the poor preformance of the blade back dragging in general. It just seems to ride over the snow, I had much better luck with my western staight blade, but I need the time savings of a vee.
    Corey

8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

get smart lock cyclinder and the will keep the wings in place 95% of the time.....the western v which my buddy does have on hir 2500hd 03...says his ride up the same as our bosses do.....the only blade we have found not to ride up or at least less than the other is the sno-way w/downpressure, vblades float more due to their design(as in two cutting edges)

on a cheaper note $2000 on a 8' back blade setup with the boss v on the front and its over we have 6 setup this way).
    On

9. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

A western MVP on a 2500 HD is not a problem. Just make sure that the center flap holders are not touching the ground before the blade does.

10. ratlover

from IL

On the rubber flap holters....Wont take long for those dudes to wear in especially if you are doing comercial plowing. Or just run your blade down the road real quick. I do that anywho on a new edge to get it worn in a bit so it cuts better.

You running shoes? Ditch em IMO, and on the boss if the center horse show is still there make sure its adjusted right. Those dudted tend to go a flying.

Havent really noticed V's floating much worse? Is it adjusted right? Its very important that the thing is adgusted so the wings stay on the ground durning the entire sweep, if its laying back or forwatd a bit it can really screw up your cutting.

Make for damn sure you get the new style fishstick. The older one is kinda a PITA and you will want to strangle the designer at fisher with it if you are coming from a boss V. Although I have an old style I will sell cheap, it works perfect I just have an extream hatred for the mode button.