1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8ft plow on a 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1/2tonthatcould, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Anyone do this? I would use timbrens and have my torsion bars cranked up, what do you guys think?
    98 k1500 ext cab sb

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Used to run a 9ft Western on a Chevy short box.

3. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

by the way the truck is a 98 k1500 ext cab short bed

4. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Ive got a 98 silverado 1500 ecsb and im going to a 8 foot as soon as i find the right one for the right price. not gunna use timbrens, my front end barely drops with my 7.5 meyer on it

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Just run it!

6. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

a little overkill......

7. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

how is it overkill? its less than putting wings on a 7'6''.......

8. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

I mean if I had unlimited funds I'd put a 7'6 on but I got this plow for next to nothin

9. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i run 7.5 western with pro wings on my 98 chevy ext cab short bed worked fine but cranking up bars will where out your tires i ran mine a few years then changed keys in bars to level it out also added helper spring in back it works as good as my 95 2500

10. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

When you crank your keys it affects your caster and camber if you get an alignment it wont be a problem. My keys have been raised for a long time no issues:

11. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I have an 05 1500 with a 8 ft. I wanted a 7.5, but could not pass on the deal of the 8fter. I cranked my bars up and run 5-600 pounds of ballast in the bed. No problems here.

12. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Yeah, I have the torsion bars raised on my Chevy 1500, I run a 8'6" Western Ultramount with weight in the rear. Handles it fine under 55mph.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Usually only about a 15lbs difference between the two

14. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

are the westerns much heavier or lighter than fishers

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There cpl guys around here has Boss Vplows with wings on Short bed 1/2 chevys When they lift them up looks like Tires are in the fenders Plus they have Rear pull plows on them

16. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

what do timbrens do?

17. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My mistake was never running the recommended 500Lb balast but with the timbrens I got 2 1/2 years out of the front wheel bearings. This was all driveway service. Thats with a 500 lb plow.

18. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

19. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

what do timbrens do?

20. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

What do you mean what do they do? The website explains everything that timbrens do. You can use them in the front or rear of your truck.

He put them in the front of his truck to keep the sag not as bad, which in turn if your truck has more sag from a 800# plow up there it wears front parts out quicker! So by using timbrens, they eliminate sag. Basically, it's a way of beefing up the front end.