1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8FT plow on 1 ton dually dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PORTER 05, Dec 12, 2009.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

Hey got a 2001 GMC 3500 1 ton dually dump. Was wondering if i could get away with putting a 8 FT fisher MM on that thing instead of the 8.5FT. I have a chance to get a 8FT fisher maybe for cheap so was just sking if anyone has run that size plow on that size truck? Just wondering also if the rear tires will drive over the windrow? I measured the outer rear wheels and they are not 8 FT accross.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, it works. 8 ft. is the minimum you want to go, though. I ran a 2wd dually for years with an 8 ft..
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing i can think of is that is a very small plow for a very heavy truck, so if you may want to look at adding some bulk to the plow then, soem reinforcement steel brackets of something
  4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, all the time unfortunatly. I used to plow with a similar truck, & found that an 8.5' straight isn't even big enough to make the truck efficient. You could simply add some wings onto the 8' to get it close to 10'. With out them, your going to be plowing yourself into a "tunnel" that will eventually get the truck stuck. Good luck.
  5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Its a tight fit and you do end up running over your windrows if you're not in a perfectly straight line. Remember, you plow is not 8ft across when it is fully angled. That being said, I put an 8ft. Plow on my Dually because I didn't want to invest in new equipment. I add the Pro Wings for $200 and made life a lot easier. :angel:
  6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

an 8 ft plow at full angle is only 6'11" put some wings on it and you will be about 8 foot.
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

how and where do you get wings for a fisher?
  8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

9. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

thats what my neighbor runs
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Grab the eight footer for now, and put the wings on it. Trade if for a nine. Someone is always looking to get rid of a nine, which is crazy. They are only slightly heavier, built just the same. Put the wings on the nine and you are in business. :wesport:
  11. Rich6789

Rich6789 Junior Member

I am in the same position right now.. I have a 4WD 1 ton dually that needs a plow badly. I run a Western 7.5' on my 2500 HD right now. I want to have the ability to trade plows between trucks if I have to. I was thinking I would go with an 8' but now I know I am in the market for a nine. Thanks guys
  12. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

8 ft plow pushes more snow then no plow at all. Can always sell and get larger plow in spring/summer when peole are selling cheap. Or wings add 22" I think. Someone can correct that if I'm wrong
  13. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

add wings and get-r-dun keep your eyes out for a deal on a 9'
  14. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a 9' on that truck. Keep good rubber on it, ample weight in the body and plow smart.
  15. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

The bigger the better. After awhile you'll wish you hadn't cheaped out on an 8 footer.
  16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

8 footer is fine...we run a 2wd with an 8 footer for our biggest parking lot and sometimes we add the wings sometimes not...it'll be fine..save the $ you'll be fine
  17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

8 footer is fine for a dually cab and chassis,a dually pickup is an other story as the pickup rear end is much wider.I plowed for years with an 8 footer on a GMC one ton dump BTW forget about wings you won`t find them around here I have never seen them on any truck here in New England.