1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8ft or 8.6ft?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pcgjr47, Nov 1, 2010.

1. pcgjr47

pcgjr47 Junior Member

This is my first year getting into plowing I have a 2006 f350 srw I'm wondering what size plow to buy 8ft or 8.6? I will be plowing small to medium size commercial lots and large driveways... Any info you guys could give would be appreciated
  2. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

I have a MM2 8' HD fisher and wish I had a 8'6". Get the bigger blade. There is nothing wrong with the 8' you will just be a little faster with the 8.6.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a nine footer. Weight difference is negligible.

Vee would be even better.
  4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Ya get a 9ft blade.
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I vote for an 8' with wings...productive but not a PIA in tight spots.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Go big :nod: if you can carry a 8'6" go for it if you can carry a nine even better. I carried a 9'2 Vee for years and missed the extra eight inches when I went to a 8'6"
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I vote sno bear!!!! Seriously, I would go with a 8.6ft with wings. Your not buying a plow for just the ones you have now, what about next year when you possibly pick up some smaller stuff. I'm assuming we're talking straight blade.
  8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

8'6" is plenty.
  9. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

No offense but with no experience plowing I would be a little scared with a rookie driving around with a 9' blade on their truck. Seen plenty of crazy close calls because a guy doesn't realize how big his blade is when driving down a narrow road. Not that your going to hit anything, but if you start with a smaller blade to get the feel and depth perception down, you can bump to a larger one later.
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I vote 8' with some wings. I'm running that this year and got the wings because 8' is going to be too small even for driveways. Why make 2 or 3 passes when a larger blade can do it in 1? Time is money.
  11. pcgjr47

pcgjr47 Junior Member

Thanks for the info... Seems to me 8' or 8.6' will do me right just comes down what i can find to fit my budget.... I have just one more question? If I was to buy used Off Truck Unit only whats the an estimate of what it should cost to have it mounted on my truck using new parts? plow frame, wires,control, etc.... my buddy has a used 8' off truck unit for $1800 but one place I called wanted $1700 for parts and labor to put in on my truck. I felt this price was high
  12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There's plenty of places to find used truck side stuff- you shouldn't spend more than $600-$700 on it used. Installation is fairly simple if your mechanically inclined at all.