1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8ft HD vs. 8.6XBlade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bacwudzme, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

First I have a quick question about my plow. I have a 05 MM2 Fisher 8ft HD plow and the dilemma I'm having is that a few of my customers have made comments about my plow is not scraping as good as my last plow. Now last year right off the bat, I noticed that the plow did not scrape as well and what I did was put the plow on the bottom hole of the three hole adjustment, thinking the attack angle would get to the tar better.
    Now on another note I have a 2" leveling kit that needs to be installed on the truck and then I'm wondering then if it will help the attack angle.
    Another thought I had was this, My other plow when I bought it the dealer told me to go a season or two without a cutting edge which i did. And this plow I believe has had a cutting edge since the plow was new. (The plow came with the truck)
    Another thought I had is there is alot of slop in my plow which I like, and taught that it will contour the uneven asphalt ( Which the customers driveways are fairly level). So I'm wondering if I should go freshen up all the pins to see if that helps.

Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 8.6ft X Blade that to me would be the most expensive route (Ive always wanted one) A company I used to plow for had one and it out scraped any of there other plows. (All Fisher). I just think instead of buying a whole new plow (plow and all truck side stuff) ill just stick with Fisher.

So bottom line is, am I beating a dead horse trying to make the HD scrape better or should I be on the prowl for the X Blade?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

X Blade I know BDavis is selling an 8 foot poly.

3. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i think that those three holes to move the plow up and down are supposed to be so that the A frame is level with the ground.
    On another note i have a nine foot xblade and like u said nothing scrapes better, there are plenty of used ones around. thats how i bought mine.

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

salt dogg is right, the proper attack angle is when the a- frame is level in "float"........on a level surface. This should give you the best possible scrape. You need to choose the mounting holes accordingly. So if you add a leveling kit to your truck, I would suspect you would need to go to a lower hole. After it is adjusted you can decide whether or not the plow scrapes good enough. But I would certainly make sure it is adjusted properly before I gave up on the plow. I don't have any experience with the 8' HD but I do know that my XV scrapes extremely well.

5. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Well that would explain why the plow was on the top hole on the A frame when I bought the truck. but when I put it to the bottom hole it scraped alot better.

Im just a little irratated when the customer calls and asks me to try scraping down to bare tar cause its warm and raining. its like a little less then a half mile and i went back and forth 16 times to try to get it bare tar.

What do fellow plowsiters think about me taking the cutting edge off to try to wear down the trip edge so next season just the cutting edge is hitting the ground?

I really do not need a V plow. I used to run a EZ V and really I only used it in scoop in lots and I dont have lots to justify it.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You cannot change the attack angle. As mentioned, the a-frame needs to be parallel to the ground. That's what the adjustment holes are for. If you move to a lower hole to make the cutting edge steeper, it won't lay flat when the blade is angled. The trailing edge will be light, maybe even leak snow.

I don't thing pulling the cutting edge to let the base angle wear some will make much difference in the scraping performance. But it's free to try it. It will just cost you a set of cutting edge bolts. I would be inclined to test it just for the experiment.

The older style blades simply do not scrape as well as the X or XV. I don't know what the specific angle on the older blades is, but the X and XV are 75 degrees. There is no denying they scrape very well.

Let us know how it works if you try it.

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Well today then ill put it back to the top hole or middle depending on levelness or parallel and give her try.

On the cutting edge note, a red wrench i could have it off in 2 min! Im wondering if i should or not, cause if i sell the plow to trade up it wont look so hot for the buyer.

2COR it makes sence right now cause yesterday when i went out it scraped better keeping the blade straight. The cutting edge is kinda getting a smile so to speak. So maybe I should throw a cutting edge at it then try to level it.

Another question: When i swapped the plow from the top hole to the bottom hole there was noticable wear on the pins, should I just get new pins and not chance it. Im really not cheap but If it broke dont fix it! Cause when you fix one thing usally another part gets jelous and here we go!

8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have an 8'HD I put an 8" edge on it this year, WOW is all I can say, it scrapes so much better. I like it all around, it added some much needed weight too.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Solving the mystery of the "Scrape King" from Saco

Homie dont play that game............ gosh I am glad I dont have to listen to that kinda customer. Of course 90% of what we plow is frozen dirt and I run shoes all the time and have them adjusted to leave about 1/4" all the time and it is of course so much easyier on the plow and truck. Without it jumping up and down constantly and wearing out my cutting edge! For what ever its worth I am not compleatly convinced that it is all about attack angle although that certainly does make a difference . I think plain old fashioned weight has alot to do with all this and an X blade that weights 8-900 lbs is just going to scrape better than a lighter plow ............................ any time I want to scrape a driveway right now bare I just take my tractor and drop the box blade and it is the best scrapper I ever used it just flat gets it done and you pull all the piles down to the end and just shove them right up over the bank................... but I do hear you and realize that everyone would love to have a driveway plowed right down to the bare tar every storm but lucky for us up here most dont have a paved driveway and since none of us never got that started so far so good. Good luck trying to get to the bottom of the problem and it sounds to me like you are probably getting yourself ready for a new plow ????:rolleyes:

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 8' X blade only weighs 70 lbs more than an 8' HD. The improved scraping is a result of the steeper cutting edge. Plain and simple. 7.5' X weighs the same as the 9' HD. Which one do you think scrapes better?

Smilie facing on the cutting will happen a little even if the a-frame angle is right on. But if the end are really peeling away, you definitely have your pins in the wrong hole.

If you are going to change the cutting edge, don't burn the nuts off the back. If they won't come off with the gun, burn the heads off the front.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Get an xblade and sell me your plow (and truck)

12. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Here are some pics i just snaped. These pics are what the present cutting edge looks like. I dont think its that warn. But with 1.75" hitting the ground vs. just a cutting edge would that make a diiference? It was worse before i thought the I could adjust the attack angle. here are the pics.

DSCN3812.jpg

DSCN3813.jpg

DSCN3814.jpg

DSCN3815.jpg

13. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Selling you the plow was part of my plan! Man if i sold you the truck i dont know what id
    buy!!!

Good luck trying to get to the bottom of the problem and it sounds to me like you are probably getting yourself ready for a new plow ????

I dont think im to far from a new one! Just need to sell it to plowguy43 and go buy one. I have a job in Sanford tomarrow so i might just find my way to a couple places in NH!

14. plowguy43

Haha- I just replaced my PC Board and the plow works perfect again. For how long I don't know...anything come of the guy up north with th x blade?

15. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

He sold the truck and plow! He who hesitates is loss (or whatever!) The way he was talking I know I could of swapped my plow and 1k and got his XBlade. I wish I tried!

Im still tring to figure out if I should go for a new plow or not. I have to hang some interior doors tomarrow a.m. and i might go to Portsmouth and Langs and come home Rt1!!! Ill make a day trip out of it!

16. plowguy43

Nice- let us know what happens

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd pull that edge off for a couple of storms. That place you measured the 1.75"thickness is just on the ends of the base angle. Fisher welds a piece in there to slow down the end wear.

Wear the base down to about 3" or 4" and then put the cutting edge back on.

18. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

3 or 4" on the whole trip or to the bolt holes?

Do you think that after maybe this season I could throw it back together and it would work better? The plow does good in the wet stuff but the last couple powdery stuff it leaves a almost slick/glazed layer after I plow it. I know that its snow and there are many variables on getting to the asphalt It just seems like she has to sand more often and thats where the comment came from!?? I plow all of the Jones's so to speak and they all love me but to lose one means...................

Im not trying to start ant trouble but my back up guys 7.6 Blizzard seems to do a good job getting to the surface but not a fan of trip plow. So thats why the X Blade appeals to me more.

19. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

From the pic, pull the cutting edge and let the trip edge wear down at least another inch then put your cutting edge back on. You do not have enough ground pressure. The only cost would be a set of cutting edge bolts.

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Sorry your havin trouble backwudz

Sorry your having a problem with the plow sounds like you are getting to the bottom of it all.:blush2: Might get a chance to try the plow up here tomorrow nite???
    And I had no idea that weight has nothing to do with how a plow backdrags; now I know it is just angle of attack, that does it. So I am going to assume that a plastic plow with a 70degree attack angle that weighes 100 lbs; is going to backdrag better than a 900lb plow with a 60 degree angle of attack. I am learning heaps on here ..............:confused: