1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8ft Bed

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rstan2010, Jan 8, 2010.

1. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

I am looking to put a Boss V plow on my 2500 dodge ram quad cab with 8ft bed and was wondering if it would be to long to plow residential properties with?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends,can you back into the driveway across the street?:)

3. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Most places but not everywhere.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can be done ,but it will be tough. By the time your back dragged out the drive you truck will be across the street and the plow will still be in the driveway.

5. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

So I guess its not a good idea to plow with it huh??

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Shouldnt be too bad. I'm 100% commercial but I do mine and it's pretty short. I can do it without entering the drive across the street too.

I backdrag all the snow out into the street. Then I 90 degree back out into the street, put it in V and push the pile together and then into the yard in a nice sweeping right arc. I push it a good 6 or 7 feet into the yard. The sweeping arc is done right against the left edge of the drive so any spillage doesn't end up in the drive.

I do it this way so I don't have any piles at the end of the drive. I can't stand the driveway guys that stack it at the end. Right at the edge of the drive too. Where are they going to put it next time? Drives me nuts. Can't see who's comming when backing out in a car either.

7. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Anyone else?

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It can be done, but will be a PITA....thats a loooooong truck. Would be better suited on more open commercial lots. Hopefully your getting the 9fter...the extra width will help make up for some of that length. If your getting the 8fter, at least get the wings for it.

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

10. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Dang that is a long truck. You do a lot of residential's? You really don't have any trouble?

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Nope. The rear plow solved 95% of that. You ever see those multiple mailboxes on a single mounting post with about a dozen mailboxes on it? This lady I serviced had it right across the street from the end of her drive. Had to shovel a little of what I dragged out.:( The other incident I just took the snow with me to a dead end street around the corner. Street got done for free.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  12. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That's a classic move. I've thought about doing that with my own drive.

13. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

So it would be hard to do without the rear plow?

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

My truck is 21' long without the plow, 90% of my accounts are residential. I have never had an issue.

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If you are a decent driver you shouldn't have problems. It might take you a little longer if you have to pull some snow out of the drive and then turn around, back in, and push the rest of it out. I wouldn't let it stop you.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

There is alot of difference between doing "residentials" in a rural setting and in a tight neighborhood.....and also where you are at (city/state) Some of us on here plow resi's, but they are not what some others think of when that is said. The OP was asking about that long of a truck with a "front plow".....of course adding a back plow to any truck DRAMATICALLY changes things. IMO, a longer truck with front & back plow will generally be much more efficient than a shorter truck with only a front plow on drives. Either way its a long truck, and the bigger the plow you get the better it will make up for some of that extra truck length.....and that truck should have no problems with a 9ft V.

17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I have that setup and do my own 'residence' as it were, but you couldn't pay me to screw around trying to plow driveways with this truck.

18. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Is it that bad?

19. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I forget what it is exactly, but in scoop, the truck is something like 27' long. :dizzy:

20. rstan2010

rstan2010 Member
    from Troy MI

Yeah I guess your right.