1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8foot on f150?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rclay11541, Nov 11, 2004.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Hello all,

I am asking you guys for a little help here. What do you guys think i would need to do to make an 8foot fisher plow work on an 86 f150? (in terms of wat i would need to do to beef up the truck).

Thanks in advance,
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Get rid of the stinkin Ford!!!!

Just kidding. A half ton should be able to handle an 8 foot blade. The older stuff has more steel in it making it more durable. Hell I've even seen V plows on half tons flyin around. In terms of "beefing it up" I'd take it in and have the tranny flushed and the bands adjusted, just preventive maintenance. Is it a regular cab?
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Although the older trucks could carry more weight a 8' plow in the 750-800 lb. range is not recommended. A 7'6" 550 lb. range plow is recommended. The more plow time because of a narrower blade is not worth talking about but the wear and tear on truck with the heavier blade is.
  4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I know this is off the topic of this post, but the plow time difference between 7'6 and 8' I would imagine is not really that great... For the 6" difference you would have to take 16 passes before you would half to take and additional pass, and really how much more time is 1 more pass??
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

For the front end, get some timbrens, otherwise you should be fine. Ive got a 750 LB plow on my 2000 F-150, sure its supposed to be lighter, but if you have the plow alredy just mount it, you should be ok. You could also consider getting heavier front springs, you would have to see what would fit your truck though.
  6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Do not put a 8' plow on a f150............ If you do make sure you check with your insurance Co. Most will not pay for a big plow on a 150.....
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way the 8ft is to heavy
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Go 7'6" with pro wings. It will then be bigger and better then the 8'. The 7'6" will be perfect for driveways then. :drinkup:

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I ran a C-8 on a ford bronco for a full season, and then the next season I went wider and threw a heavyweight 9' blade on it, granted the front end was wasted after a hard season of having a 1000# plow hanging in front but overall I wouldnt hesitate to hang a 8' Meyers or even a 9' snoway on a ½ ton

10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I have a 8' Western on my '97 Chev Silverado 1500
  11. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

04 F150 STX 4X4 Regular Cab .... Plow recommendations?

Here's my rig. Considering offering plowing services to retain a very good employee over the Winter for Next Year.

I know, I know..should have bought a 250/2500 or 350/3500 series truck. I do engineering/programming over the winter and didn't forsee Plowing. (Of course, I didn't forsee having 4 employees either).

Anyway, a bit stuck because I know my Plow choices are very, very limited for the new F150 body style with such a short wheelbase. Unfortunately, I also have the 4.6...again didn't spring for the 5.4 which was another mistake. (I'd roll this truck over already and trade it in for an F350 4X4 Dump if I wouldnt' end up taking such a bath).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

OOPS, there it went. Before it went that far I was hoping to diffuse it. Big Nate, I could be wrong but I think you were confusing two different members with similar names. Check the names on the post that you commented on from yesterday with todays.
  13. cja1987

I see some moderators are finally paying attention, theres a suprise.

I fail to see where Bolts went so wrong, there are no examples of trolls in this thread.

Leave the wife,g/f,money,job stuff out. Absoultely baseless and un necessary. We all know Bolts has a job and hes probley pretty good at it too. It was uncalled for to say the least that you threw such a personal attack in there. I can find examples of other posts where you attacked members unprovoked.

Nate i understand about the lack of moderation but it was not necessary in this situation until you replied, nothing personal but relax. Sorry for being blunt about it.

Sorry for trying to be a mediator, i know i have caused problems at times.I was not going to reply until plowboyblake threw in such an unwarrented attack on bolts indus.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

IT'S OVER.......... leave it alone.
  15. cja1987

Don't worry about the truck. Get a fisher 7'6" LD or RD series. Most major companies make a mount for the truck, only problem is some dealers have a problem where all they can do is say NO to plows on any 1/2 ton. Beef up the front end with some timbrens and your good to go.
  16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

DROP IT!

17. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

I have a '97 F150 with a 7'6" Fisher MM and it works well, I have a 6 1/2' bed and after some getting used to i like the short wheel base as i can manuver better then others. As far as timbrens and such, i just had the ford dealer increase the tension on my suspension and it helped out a lot. they didnt take it out of spec just put it on the high end. i just hope my tranny dont fall out.