1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 wont stay running, help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 7d9_z28, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

got an 89 chevy pickup 350. day i bought it, drove over an hour to get it home. ran great. couple days later i try to start it, it runs ok then shuts off. runs like s#!t after that.
    replaced many things, tightened many things.

TODAY, it started hard, but smoothed out. idled smooth for 7-10 minutes. put it in gear, acted normal. pulled out of the driveway, turned around, dropped the plow, and started driving up driveway. blade catches at low speed, so i stop and get out, look around (truck still running great) proceed to plow driveway. when i get to the end, and i stop the truck, it starts acting up again. it runs like its on 3 cylinders all the sudden. stalls out. trying to restart, runs like crap and stalls again. let it sit, and the crap battery in it finnaly took a dump. had thought that the battery was crap and the ECM wasnt getting enough voltage and intermittently told the timing to change, because the charge never went over 12v.

put in new battery, now it will just crank and roll, but will not start. WTF?
    im a certified mechanic. my dad and uncle have been working on vehicles for years. local parts/repair shop (its a small independent buisness not stupid autozone crap) we are all stumped!
    please help!
  2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

Some dumb things I can think of off the top of my head if it has spark, has compression, and all the fuses are ok. You might want to check the egr and catalytic converter to see if the are clogged. You probably checked the choke. This same type of thing seems to happen to me all the time. Hope this helps
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I know this sounds stupid but you'd be surprised how often it gets overlooked. Especially if its been sitting for awhile waiting to be sold, could it possibly be bad fuel? You'd be amazed what a little water will do, especially if theres any ethanol in the fuel in your area. Few other things to check, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, cracks water or stiping in the distributor cap, fuel pump could be on the way out, rotted grounds. Dont get frustrated just go back to the basics. Remember, air fuel and fire. Your not getting one. Start by finding out which one your not getting then find out why.
  4. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

May have a restricted line check for fuel pressure and get a good filter not a cheap made in china. Wix is made in the us.
  5. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i did alot of this already. put seafoam in at 3/4 tank, now down to 1/4 tank. distributor cap is new, fuel pump gave us issues so we added another ground to it. i am gunna try to get the filter changed today, i think i already bought it ( thrown some money at it but apparently it doesnt like money as much as people do!) and ive been reading about the coolant sensor, ill have to check that out for sure.

also ALOT of similar problems ive found online, are a ground issue. and when i got he truck, i have a few very loose grounds, so im gunna poke around for more i guess!

thanks guys, ill keep you posted
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Check for corrosion on the bottom of the ignition module, check engine grounds, check the IAC, replace the coolant temp sensor "cost like $8" and you may need to do a tap test on the ECU.