1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 toyota runs hot with plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by marion1, Feb 3, 2010.

1. marion1

marion1 Junior Member

We have an 89 toyota 4X4 4cyl with Western Plow. The truck runs hot with the plow mounted on it (whether using the plow or not), but does not run hot without the plow on it. Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have never had a problem with any of my Toyotas running hotter with the plow on.

To be extra careful though when replacing parts I would do the following.

1. Run a 5degree cooler then stock thermostat. I picked this up on a Toyota forum. Gives a small boost in power and is good for a 1 mpg or so increase usually.

2. There are numerous companies offering three core (instead of stock two core) heavy duty radiators) These bolt up in the same place and have no clearance issues as they actually fill the space between radiator and support. Prices are right with cost of a stock replacement.

3. Fan Clutch Many guys who off road the Toyotas will tell you to ditch the belt driven fan clutch and blade and run electric on a thermostat and a dash switch. At the very least you may want to replace the 20 year old fan clutch. Again they claim a couple hp from ditching the fan.

Finally, make sure you give the system a good flush including the heater core and check the water pump. If it is bad you will usually see it leaking.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

No need to post in 2 forums.
    I gave you some options on your other post

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Have you try-ed the search feature, there are 286 threads on overheating.

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

:dizzy:..............

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

may also check the throttle cable/peddle. may be stuck wide open.:cool:

7. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

You are gonna need an electric fan. Plow blade is blocking all the wind to cool the radiator. Clutch fans only start pulling air through the radiator at low RPMs . Most of the time the truck is relying on wind from front which is not available with the plow on.

8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

hot..

gas pedal stuck aye ..:jester: