1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 s15 as a plow truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kraman_25, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Kraman_25

Kraman_25 Junior Member

I have an 89 S15 reg cab that I'm considering getting a used plow for. I am only thinking of doing some small driveways (25' x 20'), and am considering doing a couple gas stations. Would this be ok? I have just replaced the upper/lower ball joints, idler arm, both hub assemblys, and tie rod ends. I've never done any plowing before, and so have been reading on your site for tips and things, and I've seen people talking about the plow for an s10 being between 6'6" and 7'6". What would be the best for what I am wanting to do?

Thanks for the info.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Talk to Alan. he is a moderator on here. He plows with S-10s. I plow with Toyotas for small areas and have found them to be well suited. I run 6.5 to 7.5ft blades on them depending on how the truck is set up. They have plenty of power for 7.5ft blades in everything bu heavy wet snow.

3. Kraman_25

Kraman_25 Junior Member

As far as power goes, I don't think I will have any problems, although I could be wrong. I have a 22' car hauler that I routinely tow with my truck and it tows it just fine. 70 mph on the highway. My curb weight right now on the truck is 4140 on an empty tank of gas and no one in it. I am running 30x9.50 Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. I currently have 208k miles on the truck.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

KRAMAN.........Watertown NY huh. I am just up the
    road in ALex. Bay ! I own a motel there.
    Drop me a email we can hook
    up and have a cold one ! sonjaab@aol.com
    A couple of guys use S-10s to plow on this
    site. They should respond..but its slow here
    this time of year ! Maybe you should attend
    the BBQ in Poughkeepsie. Good time I went
    last year and met lots of the guys !
    .......george

5. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Sonjaab-I know it is off the subject, but I noticed you own a 72 GTO. I was up in Lake George this past weekend for the Adirondack Nationals. Some really beautiful old cars up there. Quite a few GTO's. I'm currently working on a 1970 Cutlass which should be on the road soon. Would love to take it to Lake George next summer! Mike

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not much to worry about weight ratings (must be the old farm boy in me) so if it will carry the plow and push it I figure the capability is there. I'm not advocating it for anyone else, but I've got two S-10 short beds that both haul 8' Sno-Way plows. One carries a 10 cf spreader and the other a Snowman pull plow to even out the load. Both trucks are 4.3L and automatic. If I was going to be limited to one truck for plowing under all conditions I'd keep one of the S trucks and not feel at all under-equipped. I know that will raise the hackles of the folks who advocate nothing less than a 3/4 ton chassis for plow use. If they want to go that way I have no argument with that, but in all truth I'd put either of my S trucks up against any truck with an 8' straight blade and I am pretty sure I could hold my own.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  7. sonjaab

AL...Awesome ! I have had that car since 1974 ! It
    mostly sits in the barn ! My bud across the street is
    a OLDS head !....79 cutlass with a 455 mouse motor
    in it ! He is working on a 71 cutlass 455 for his boy
    when he turns 16 ! Keep on postin ! and pray for
    snow !

Kraman ...where are you ?.................geo

8. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I also use a s-10 for plowing 1984 2.8 auto long bed 6.5 w/wings I am currently shopping for a 5 or 6 foot spreader for it now I am in a smaller city and so the 2.8 does just fine any time it is working it is in 4 low so there is plenty of power for the blade ice melt and trailer with tractor, blowers, more melt etc. biggest thing with it is keep it cool s-10s have weak cooling systems I had a radiator shop custom make a radiator for it with 4 cores and added a oil cooler to the tank like the 95 and newer ones and added a electric fan

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The 4.3 must have better cooling, the only time I've had problems with ours was when the fan clutch went bad and was not spinning the fan up to speed. Once I put in a new clutch it cooled fine.

10. Kraman_25

Kraman_25 Junior Member

Sorry 'bout not posting sooner, but I"m in the Army and I've been in school since the 9th. I will be getting out of school on the 8th of October but I am deploying for another 6 months starting on 20 Oct. So I guess it will be another year before I get to buy a plow... :-(

Oh well.... Guess it could be worse.
    Oh, and I've never had a problem with my truck overheating... except of course when the water pump went bad (at 13.8 years old and 198k miles) And I've pulled 6 and 7 thousand pound trailers from Fla to upstate NY with it...

11. sonjaab

K-MAN...10th mountain division huh ? AWESOME !
    Take some PAYBACK to the taliban for all of us !
    4 of my cousins boys joined the Army, AF, Navy and
    Marines. One is in Germany NOW loading bombs on
    the planes to bring bin head out of hiding !
    Family is PROUD of them...and you guys too......geo

Last edited: Sep 29, 2002