1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 Ram - Wiper rewire help needed

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MattR, Jan 6, 2010.

1. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I have an 89 Dodge 1/2 ton. The wipers only work when on high. It came with the delay wiper control and I am sure the switch is the problem. However, a friend of mine told me that to replace the switch requires removing the steering column. I really do not need the delay option, I just would like the wipers to work on low and high. So my thoughts are to hard wire a toggle switch so I can choose either low or high wiper speeds. Now my problem is I have no idea what parts I need and also need some guidance on how to wire it up. I know how to wire up a simple on/off toggle switch yet never tried doing a low/off/high toggle switch before.

Hoping to get this fixed since it is very annoying when it is just light precip on the windshield and the wipers are going full blast.

2. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

Double check the ground at the wiper motor. Ground issues were a big problem with the older dodges.

Are you getting power at the wiper motor? I think its a 2 or 3 wire plug.
  3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I haven't checked for power as far as the low wiper speed setting. I just assumed that it is probably the switch if power is there for the high speed setting. With it working for the high speed, the ground is probably good, at least I would think it is.

I will have to check for power probably tomorrow. Right now it is snowing and just waiting for it to stop to start plowing. Plus in about an hour it will be dark too. To be honest, I could care less if I used the original switch or a toggle, just having them work with both speeds would be great. Also if I have to rip it apart to check power, would like to have whatever is needed to install the toggle if that is the best route to take. The truck is also my daily driver so would prefer to not have it apart for too long.

What is the best way to get at the motor on this truck? I have mechanical ability, yet I also seem to take the long route when fixing stuff.