1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 Ram 1500 - known problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan Schulte, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

Just bought a 89 Ram 1500 Snow Commander with 32,000 miles on it. Used the search and didnt find anything specific on this truck. Anybody know if it has "known" problems to look out for? Thanks for any replies.
  2. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

32 K? If that is actual mileage, be on the lookout for trans problems. I bought an 86 F250 w/59K actual and it had 3 trans' already. I made sure the current trans only had a few miles on it. So now I have a trans with less than 500 miles on it, and a warranty.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Awesome plow trucks tons of power. When shifting to save tranny shift to N from D or R before going the opposite direction and if left sitting idle leave it in N to allow fluid to run through the trans cooler. This truck shouldnt have too much smog stuff but if it does Check EGR valve first thing that will go wrong if the trucks been sitting or is left idle. They clog up. Its a great truck good and strong have it looked over check all lines (if you havent already done so). Just my 2 cents
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just got my '90 1500 Ram out of the shop yesterday after having it completely checked out. It's where my son works, so I'm confident of what was done. Anyway - there are several things that make me somewhat nervous. First, let me say that the truck has awesome plowing power. For overall performance, I prefer it in some ways to plowing with the 3500. But - I need to be very careful with that transmission. Apparently, there were eight different types made. Mine is the rarest. The fuel line was completely rusted out, apparently it had been leaking bad. He said it crumbled in their hands as they disconnected it. The worst part was that was no place to get a replacement, not from the dealer or parts place. They wound up fabricating one. Took a couple of hours to get the bends right. Inner wheel seal was shot. The whole exhaust system was rusted out.

Surprisingly, the cab and bed were in great shape. No rust at all.

I still don't have the bill but I figure even if it's a few thousand dollars, it's well worth it. I have no doubt I'm set for a few more years.

With only 32,000 miles on a 13 year old truck, I'd be concerned that it just sat around rotting away. Just check it over for rust and leaking fluids.
  5. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

At the shop getting a new blade, pump and cartridges now. A small manufacturing plant used it for 11 years then a car lot for 1 year. The truck is tight except for a door seal that Im replacing. No rust or body damge. Having the tranny serviced next week. Ill replace out that valve and check the fuel lines. Thanks guys.