1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 K1500 Runs rich.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rollsroyce1999, Aug 25, 2004.

1. rollsroyce1999

rollsroyce1999 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hey, I have a question. I have an '89 K1500 w/5.7L. The truck starts and runs ok, however it is running waaay to rich. When you look in the T-body, it is pooring the gas in (at least it seems like more gas than my dads '88 5.7L burb). The other give-away's are; it idles at like 1100 w/ the set screw backed all the way off, and it runs doggy. I have already replaced the regulator and that didn't do the trick. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I hope someone can help, the gas mileage is killing me.
  2. rollsroyce1999

rollsroyce1999 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Ok, so here's the deal. When I got this truck it didn't run very well, but I figured after replacing the cracked distributer cap, advancing the ******** timing and replacing the horrible exhaust it would liven up. At this time I didn't notice the idle speed problem, but I did have suspicions of the following:
    The guy I got the truck from told me that the motor had been swapped, I was concerned that a 305 was put in place of the 350 ( since they are nearly identicle outside except for the casting numbers). Unfortunately I was not able to clearly read the casting numbers on the back of the block, and my friend (who is basically a chilton's manual for chevy's) told me he was sure it was fine. I wasn't convinced but ended up getting the truck anyways (it was still a good deal).
    Last night I was finally able to get a visual of the casting number. I bet everyone can guess what it read.

Hint: not 5.7L

So now I need to find out which pcm it has, and if the throttle-body, or any other important stuff was swapped off of the 350 onto this motor.
    I know this truck came with the 350 originally because it has K's in the vin number.
    So my next question is, is there anyone who plows with a 305 truck? I've got a 7' Meyer and a huge brush guard.

Thanks and sorry this message is so long.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

There has been a 'temporary' 305 (carb motor) in my one-ton dually for the past 4-5 years now. It plows fine, even pulling around the truck (10000lbs plus with plow and ballast, 7000+ empty) though it will certainly not win any races and the long uphills are problematically slow. I think mine does so well because it has 4.56 gears.... but in a half-ton it should work just fine.

You can either replace the motor with a proper 350, or find a wrecker computer PROM from a 305 truck... pretty sure the throttle body and injectors is identical.

Very quick and easy to fix as long as all the sensors are working.