1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer front springs with fisher G

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jeepjimmy, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

just got a 89 jeep grand wagoneer to replace a jeep j20 plow truck that is totally shot. Im using the plow from the J-20. Its a 1981ish FIsher speedcast model G. full hydro. 7'6". now its heavy. Grand wagoneer's are known for sagging leafs as in the ones in the jeep. Was wondering what you guys would maybe recommend for front replacement leaf springs. also would like to run 31x10.5R15 tires. Also anyone know of any companys make replacement parts fo these full hydro setups? thanks

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have a wagoneer , all that was done to this was add another leaf

3. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

ok anyone else?

Id thin adding a leaf to shot springs is pointless?

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

take it to a spring shop and have your springs redone

I had all 4 done in my old Cherokee, you can tell them exactly how much weight and how high you want it to sit and they will take care of it for you

not sure if there is anything off the shelf that will work, your much better off getting it done to your exact specifications.

5. superhioutput

superhioutput Junior Member

I have an '86 Grand Wagoneer with a Blizzard 760lt. Last fall I did a fair amount of research on the best solution to the sagging springs. Having the springs re-arched and built up would have cost about a thousand dollars and may have only lasted a year or two before sagging again, especially with a plow.

I heard a fair number of good things about Rusty's Off-Road (http://www.rustysoffroad.com). I went with part number fs-35aal which includes new spring packs for the front and blocks/aal for the rear. It sits up about 4" higher which makes it look much better than the factory setup, although it is still only a modest lift. It was very easy to install. The front drops less than an inch with the plow raised, and the back drops only about an inch with 500 lbs of ballast in the back. So it carrys my setup very well. My only complaint is that it is a very stiff ride with the plow/ballast out, although the springs have broken in some. There are several options for factory replacement springs, too, but then you might need timbrens which aren't much cheaper than Rusty's new spring kit.

6. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

got any pics. that rusty's kit looks decent for the price. any problems with the install?

7. superhioutput

No problems with the install. Just soak all bolts in penetrating fluid several days before you start. If I went with new spring packs in the rear instead of aal, I would have had to remove the gas tank to remove the driver's side spring eye bolts. But rear aals were easy. Here are some quick pics.

side.JPG

under.JPG

front_side.JPG

back_side.JPG

8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I had my springs redone 10 years ago, it still sits like the day they were done, at the time it cost me $600.

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

BTW- I run BFGs in that tire size

10. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

ok.. thanks. Wow blizzard makes a plow mount for the fullsize jeeps???

11. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

Rob, where are you from on LI ?

12. superhioutput

Nope, its custom. It started out as a mount for a Dodge half ton.

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I live in Amityville, the southern most point

I had the truck done at Anderson spring, they are in Baldwin I believe

My jeep is a V-8 Cherokee Laredo, it has the factory flares on it, but I have seen alot of Grand Wagoneers running 31-10.50's

14. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

ah ok. im way out east on the north fork

15. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

any idea what a 7'6" fisher speedcast G full hydro setup and plow weighs?

16. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

anyone know?

17. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

well following up to an OLD post. i did get the rustys' 4" lift springs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still may look into the timbrens. dunno yet. need to get some weight in the back when the snow flies.

18. APBAinMaine

APBAinMaine Member

Did you do this yourself or take it to a shop? What mods were required? $$$? Thanks in advance (looking at a '73 GW).

19. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

superhighoutput

that jeep looks really clean...just wondering if you guys use salt up there...how long have you had the jeep

looks really nice

20. APBAinMaine

APBAinMaine Member

Hehe... nevermind. Drove to check out the 73. It looked better than I expected, but it was pretty clear it had a backyard brush paint job. That didn't scare me off, but I know why I've done that in the past, so I went up and pressed on the rockers -- my hand went right through like it was a potato chip. That noise is me walking away.