1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 GMC Jimmy sputtering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FeelLikeANumber, Jan 8, 2008.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I was in the truck the other day and everytime I would press on the gas I wasnt getting any response at all, unless I barely pushed it down (like about an inch) but there was no chance of gunning it off of the lights it was almost like it was getting no gas or something. I've got a buddy comming over to help me toy around with it a little today and tomorrow and what we're thinking is maybe its either the fuel pump or its something to do with the spark plugs. It has a brand new battery and I've checked the fluids and all of those are fine. Is there anything else that could be a good idea to check and are we heading in the somewhat right direction? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Fuel Filter?

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yep.

Under the truck along the frame in case you want to change it.

4. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

Yep sounds like fuel filter. It wouldn't hurt to put a bottle of some quality injector cleaner in at you next fill up as well. I had a similar problem back a month ago. My truck started acting like it was on 6 cylinders..popping and sputtering like crazy! Sprayed the injectors with Gunk injector cleaner and ran a bottle of cleaner thru the tank. Only sputtered once since then. I will be changing my fuel filter soon.

5. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

So far we changed out one of the spark plug wires which was burned/eroded half way which might have been the problem if the connection wasn't constant. Also we changed out one of the battery cable connectors because that was broken (a lucky stumble upon that one). It seems to be running better, for now. I'll run some fuel cleaner through it and drive it around a little tomorrow. We'll just have to see how that holds up so far so good though just changing a few simple loose connections. If all else fails we'll work on that filter. Thanks for the input hopefully we stay in good shape without having to put too much into it. So far its the first year its made it through 6 good plowing sessions (3-7 inches per push) and still no big problems....... Its actually been 100% profitable! Dont want to jinx it though. I'll keep toying with it and we'll see how we do.

Thanks,
    Scott

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Do yourself a favour and start soaking the fittings on the filter now, way ahead of time. I like to use a shot of penetrating oil followed up with a few drops of motor oil....

It should be changed anyways as preventitive maintenance, when you've got a day or two of no snow--keep in mind that lines can get damaged with their removal if it hasn't been done regularly or recently. Hence, the pre-oiling...

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Also if one plug was that bad you reAlly should just do a complete tuneup. Don't skimp out on it.

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I had a S-10 V-6 TBI and mine was doing that and mine was one of the fuel injecter wires rubbed against the air breather spacer and was grounding out, never hurts to try!

Yon

9. racin84

racin84 Junior Member
    from CT

Pop the hood at night and look for bad plug wires/boots. Should be easy to see the arc jumping around. Not unusual for the plug boots to be ripped and grounding out to those stupid tin heat shields around them. Make sure the timing is set correctly also.

10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

To add to racin84's post when you do that at night also take a spray bottle with water and spray the wires etc down with water. You can also spray during the day. If they are bad then when wet the motor will start acting up and/ or stall.