1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 F350 Good and Bad for plowing??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86 CJ, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I am also looking at a 1989 F350 Siingle Cab

460 Engine
    Auto Trans
    89K Miles
    new plugs/wires
    New Exhaust
    New Brake lines
    8' Meyers Blade, banged up, but everything works
    minor Body rust
    No frame issues

Says it runs like a beast, no problems

$2800 He is asking for....

Besides gas guzzling, is there any other issues I whold look for??

Would this make a good commercial and residential plow truck?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if it has the c6 auto trans with 4.10 gears it is the ultimate workhorse. the e4od auto overdrive trans and 3.55 gears are better for highway driving, but for around town, the c6 and 4.10's are the best.

that truck has a kingpin dana 60 front axle. the front end on a full size truck doesn't get anymore bullet proof than that (from the factory).

aside from body/frame rust, check the spring hangers, oil pan, and radiator support. these are common rust/rot spots on these trucks.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's a great price JUMP ON IT ! Find out what he's done to it to get it ready for this winter. Make sure the fluids and filters have been changed on schedule. On the surface this looks like a great deal. Just look for leaks and disfunctions with all the systems on the truck. Ask questions here. We are here to help. Just be aware that some plow trucks are being sold for a reason. Something may be close to failure. Give it a good test drive for an hour or more. The owner get's hinkie about a good test drive BEWARE! It may have a problem?

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Good price on a tough truck. Just expect to have to throw some parts at it. It is 21 years old.......

5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks guys

I appreciate the Help.

The guy who is selling it now really deos not know much about the truck, except that is starts right up, runs good and the plow all works but he has never used it. He has owned the truck for a year and I think he is a young buck....

He said that the brakes were done and tune up and Brake lines are new. Some rust on it, but not a lot...

Here are some pics I have of the truck. I am just trying to make a good decison and find a solid plow truck this year...

89 F350 w plow.jpg

F350 Engine.jpg

89 F350 Blade.jpg

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

More pics.....

89 F350 Front.jpg

89 F350 interior.jpg

7. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

New exhaust? Must be the pic was taken before the exhaust was put on. Looks like a tough older truck. I wouldn't be afraid as long as it runs decent.

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

If she runs good, it would be worth it. Good rubber by the looks of it, that's a plus.

9. Nismothunder

Nismothunder Junior Member

looks solid,the seats are outa a van but it all looks good.The fact that a younger guy owned it kinda scares me though,it probly has 180k on it to since on those year fords they didnt had a slot for hundred thousands.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If you are prepared to toss some money at it as needed and it looks solid to you, I'd go for it. Looks like a good deal from the pics. The "exhaust" does not look "new" to me. Maybe its new to the truck lol

11. MickiRig1

Did you buy it? I would of for that price. Looks like it would do the job with a few parts added. Being an F-350 it's built real tough!

12. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks Guys

The exhaust in the pic was not done yet, LOL

I wanted to go see it today but the Brake line broke on one of the front wheels. The kids Dad owns it now and has not had time to repair it yet. I told him that when I get there(1 hour away) I will be test driving it and hooknig the plow up to check everything,so email me when it's all ready to go,so I don't waist my time.

13. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

SOOO.

I went and checked the truck out today. It has been sitting a bit and the tires are not that great on it, probably needs a new set. It actualy started right up and sounded great. The exhaust needs to be finished to the back and one of the brake lines need to be fixed for it to drive anywhere. All the guages worked good and you could tell it just had a tune up and new thermostat replaced. The body of the truck needed some work around the cab area, it was starting to rust in the corners and I could see some holes through the inside of teh floor near the door jams. Frame looked like just surface rust. The blade all looked like it worked with a new pump sylinoid, the blade itslelf was rusting and had some holes in it and looked weak....

I decided to pass on it right now and keep looking????

14. MickiRig1

Keep in mind, a lot of times when a plow truck is for sale it may need work. In fact most need a lot of parts and work. They are rode hard and put away wet! So they have had a hard life. They reach a point where the owner does not want to fix it. Your better off to buy a non-plow truck and have a plow installed. The beauty of an older 90's truck is you can piece a system together. Truck side mount and wiring here, pump and blade there, new cheap head lights off the Internet. There are places around that will install a used system for you.

15. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks Guys

I ended up buying an 87 F250, 351W, 89K with 8' Western Pro plow for $2K. It runs rough, but did a tune up, has a little rust issue in Drivers floor, which I just cut out over the weekend, and the plow is the old Cable Control Mark 3 type, works but needs some adjusting. I think with $500 I will have a solid plow truck for the winter...

16. DeereFarmer

Post up some pics of it when you get a chance!

17. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Here is a pic from when I brought it home. I will get more of some detail and the plow when I get it out of the back and finish the floor work up.

Plow Truck.jpg

18. DeereFarmer

Looks good. That must have been a heavy load on the U-Haul car trailer lol.

19. MickiRig1

That's worth $2k with a plow. It still has the $90 OEM hub caps too on each wheel. For $2K around my area you lucky it will go into 4X4 without a hammer..

20. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Yea UHAUL actually gave me the wrong trailer. I pulled it off the trailer about 30 min outside of where I picked it up, it was swaying way to much behind my Tahoe :eek: I had the wife and kid in the car and did not feel like putting them in Jeopardy and making the 6 PM news. Then the truck would not run righ on the highway ( BAD GAS) from sitting all summer. It has some carb issues, I did a tune up and got it running better, but still wants top stall when I throw it in gear sometimes and I had to cut more rust out of the floor then expected, but will try and throw some new metal in the floor this weekend with a mig welder. The rest of the truck is solid,plow is solid, just needs some adjusting of the old style Mark 3 pump and cables....