1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 F350 Dually ----2 Wheel Drive backup truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MGardner, Oct 30, 2005.

1. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Picked up a good used F350 flatbed 7.3 auto. Solid truck and at present looking to either install a Rugby hoist under it or go to the salvage yard and find a used hoist body. Have a Western Unimount sitting in the weeds off a 90 F 150 and wondering if it will fit this truck and if it would be worth using as an a back-up for flat lots equiped with a salter? Anyone use a dually 2 wheel drive as a plow truck ? I know a guy that used two of them and loaded them up with salt and seemed to use them a lot. Truck was a deal at 1900.00 bucks with 152 K on it with good service records....

2. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

might be able to make it work,is the plow a 7.5 or 8 footer?
    8 would be better to cover the duals.load her up with some weight and she'll push fine.
    152,000 on a 7.3 IDI,its just broke in:D

3. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

The plow is a 7 footer,but I could weld some wings on it. I`m afraid it will be worthless as tits on a boar as far as traction.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The frame size should be the same to mount the plow,depends on the year the mounts from. You could upgrade to a wider plow that fits the mount too or add wings to that plow. I see alot of bigger 2WD trucks that have plows but mostly used as salters. You could add a locker to the rear axle to improve the traction. With the V-box weight or weight of salt bags it should be usable. If it works flat lots plowing with other trucks, when it loses traction a short pull with a yank strap and your back plowing. Do the big stuff and the 4x4 trucks can do the close stuff.

5. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

May just use it as a salter truck and if time allows ,mount the Western ,add pro-wings. What`s a diff locker ? Will it stress when cranking it on corners ? May be worth looking into .

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Most of the DPWs run 2wd

Most of the bigger municipal trucks are 2wd,a good set of snows, some ballast, maybe a set of chains and you'll be fine.Allot of guys around here still run 2wd one tons, you just have to use your head ,get out early and go$go$go$.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A locker installs onto your ring gear in the rear end and also replaces the spider gears. It locks both wheels together when moving in a straight line. It unlocks on corners so the tires do not scrub around them. Most rear end places have them or can get them.
    Chains would be a good idea if the going gets rear tough on heavy snows or ice.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

It will do fine!

In the 80's I ran two trucks similar setup for plowing streets and large lots and they both had 9' in the front--just use a lot of ballast. I also have a 4x4 that the traction in the rear is so good that I plow mostly in 2wd after I do my first pass in 4wd!