1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 F350 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86 CJ, Sep 15, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I found a deal on an 89 F350 Diesel, crew cab, 8' blade, 100k Miles, 8'bed. Barely any rust at all. Everything works on it and used it to plow a lot last year. $3,000

Would this be too long to plow with?? Any issues with this engine??

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I had an 89 f250 diesel x cab. Overall (generally) they are a pretty reliable engine. the 7.3's sometimes had problems with pitting, which could cause antifrreze to leak through the cylinder walls on the rear two cylinders. Not all that common, but it can be a pain. Check the antifreeze and oil to ensure that they are separate-leaking oil coolers could be an issue on that motor as well. Does the truck have a SFA or independent front suspension? The independent front suspension on those trucks are terrible. SFA would be nice.

What kind of plow?

I used to plow with a 93 chevy 2500 extended cab. It works, but it was tight. I got rid of it and bought a regular cab for the better turning radius. If you are doing parking lots it won't be an issue.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would never plow anything but large parking lots, roads, or state/town jobs with it honestly. Even then I would get a larger blade to clear the rear wheels on turns. Other than that, if the truck checks out seems to be a really good price IMO.

4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I am still looking for something in that price range. The truck seems pretty solid and I might go test drive it and check out the frame and engine. I grew up with my dad plowing with a 1 ton 4 door Chevy Dually with a 9' blade, doing lots and some driveways, and have been using a Jeep for the past 5 years, so Have had my fill of vehicles.

I will be doing some more commercial lots this year and still some residential. I am still looking for a solid 2500 or 250 with an extended cab and shorter bed, but will keep this truck in mind because with the western setup on it, it seems like a fairly good deal.

What should I look for when I go check it out. I know a lot about trucks, but never messed with the 7.3 Diesels??

Thanks