1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 f250 needs a boost, taking suggestions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrwolf, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

I have read and searched here lots and appreciate the forum and all the help.

1989 f250 4x4, leafs all around, boss 7.5 straight with plans to switch to a 8'2 v in the near future. I run a snoex 1075 and a pallet of salt in the rear. The suspension is very tired. I don't wanna redo everything but will if I need to. Add a leafs sound like a waste of time and money. I am gonna put hd shocks on it but need suggestions for the front and rear springs, air ride , new heavy duty leafs, or timbrens? It does not travel far but will be used a few days a week for my summer mowing/landscape work. Seems like bags are a good way to go and maybe easiest to install?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Airbags rule
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I did add a leaves on the front of a 95 F250 I had and it leveled it out and held the plow without squatting at all. I'll probably do it with the one I just picked up too. It's a pretty good deal for for $80.
  4. hightop

hightop Member

I did the add a leaf thing on an '89 F250 as well, lifted it about 2" with the plow on, probably 3" from where it was with the plow off, it's definetly the cheapest route.
  5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

careful with add a leafs on 80-97 F250s as they had the twin torsion bar independent front suspension. lift the front end too high and you'll have some serious uneven tire wear. i had an 86 with add a leafs. it rode perfectly level with the weight of the plow hanging off the front end. when i removed the plow, the 2 front tires looked like this: \ /
  6. hightop

hightop Member

That's true, but if it's sagging now it probably looks like this: / \ !
  7. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I put add-a-leaves on the rear of my 3/4 ton silverado. If your short on change this is the way to go. Cheap. If you have the money id go air bags. Im going to add bags to mine eventually.