1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 f-250w/460

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GrissOm Bro's, Jul 31, 2003.

1. GrissOm Bro's

GrissOm Bro's Junior Member

im bought a 1989 f-250 with a 460 in it and i was wonderin what would be a good straight plow,would it be hard to find, and what kinda maintenance it would need

Jake

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Jake, if you can't find anything closer, I've got a 8' Diamond plow that will bolt on your truck, complete.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

We had a 1988 ford f-250 w/ a 351. The truck was very powerfull and made a great plow truck. We ran a 7.5 Meyer e47 plow on it. it was a very high maintenance plow but it worked out great. Any plow you buy will need maintenance. You should put a 8ft plow on it because we felt the 7.5 was kinda small for our f-250 :)

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pretty much any Fisher or Western would work.They shouldn't be too hard to find,even used.

As far as the truck,the TTB front ends on the Ford's are the strongest.Keep an eye on the driver side axle beam for cracks,or any signs of bending.You'll usually see the tops of the front wheels starting to lean in.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chris, I had that side split on me, TWICE! Had it welded the first time and it broke again two weeks later on an F-350 with TTB. I converted it to the monobeam.

The leaning wheel was my first clue something was wrong, plus the plow dragged on that side.. Limped it to the welding shop.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

It was,and still is a common problem.One thing you can do is make sure the two mounting bolts on the drivers side are tight.They work loose,and it put's all the weight on the beam,and it splits right under the spring perch.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I went the monobeam route as well. Nothing like a solid axle for a heavy plow IMO.

Pelican e-mai me about that Diamond setup. Old/New style, hydraulics, photos, etc. Thanks

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Lots of trucks just like yours running Fisher plows on them up in the CT area. Check your local bargain newspaper im sure you will find a good deal on one there.

Jay

9. GrissOm Bro's

Prevention

Is there any way to prevent it from bendin or cracking before it starts ???

Thanks for all the advise

Jake

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like I mentioned above,find those two bolts on the drivers side beam,that fasten it to the side of the pumpkin.Take them out,red Loctite them,and torque to 120 ft/lbs.Check them every once and a while,as they come loose.

A set of Timbrens will help,but there is only one true way to prevent it,and that's convert it to a solid axle.

For now,I'd have the alignment checked to see how far the camber is out.If it's way out,and the tires are leaning in,then maybe it's starting to go.Sometimes you can see little "rust pops" in the area right under the spring u-bolts.If you do,it is probably starting to stretch,and will soon split.

Keeping the plow off it as much as possible,and using lots of ballast to keep weight of the front axle will help it last.When driving with the plow on,go easy,avoid potholes and big dips in the road.

11. GrissOm Bro's

wyldman out torward the end of the axel where the wheel attaches it look bent but all the fords with the ttb front ends look the same and the truck is not ran that hard but all people sellin a truck will tell ya that

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much.Like I said earlier,a good alignment shop will spot it if it's on it's way out pretty quick.It always good to align these trucks anyways.A lot of guys align them with the plow on for the winter.Tire wear will be much better.