1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'89 Dodge transmission problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by UHLGS, Feb 21, 2003.

1. UHLGS

UHLGS Junior Member

We have a 1989 Dodge W350 4x4 3 speed automatic that suffered the loss of reverse during the great snow we just finished. I don't know which tranny it has in it; as I understand there are possibly two different models. All of the forward gears are working well, but reverse is gone. Is it better to pull it and repair the broken reverse components, or just get a reconned unit and replace the whole thing? Been plowing since 1989, and have never had this many breakdowns in the same storm, or year for that matter.

Would certainly appreciate any ideas from you Dodge experts. Thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You lost the reverse drum/band more than likely.if you have a competent mechanic who can remove and repair the trans,thenm thatg is likely the cheapest way out.Once you are inside the trans you can look it over and get a better idea of what it will cost.Id run a reverse pressure test before you pull it apart.E mail me for details if necessary.