1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 Dodge Ram W250?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jjklongisland, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I just bought a dual haligen light for my roof for my 89 Dodge Ram W250 regular cab. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to get the cigarette plug in the cab of the truck? I have a rear slideing window but the gauge wire is thick and prevents the window from locking. I do not want to cut the factory plug off because it will void my warranty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

youll have to cut it but we ran the cord through the third brake light(i know its a cargo light) then connect the wires back up and plug it back in

3. jjklongisland

Yeah I guess that is my only option... I will try it and let you know If I run into any problems...

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Are you going to leave the lightbar on all the time or is it a magnetic mount that you are going to take off when you are not plowing? If you are going to take it on and off, just run it through the door.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would run it through the passenger door and across the sunvisor then down. The door has rubber moulding and should not pinch it. I have several that way.

6. jjklongisland

It is magnetic but I was thinking of leaving it on all the time and changing the lenses to blue when no snow is in the forecast in case I am using the truck and want to respond to the fire department for a call... Currently I have it through the triangle passenger window but I allready had someone in the parking lot of my firehouse open the door and almost yank the light off the roof. Plus I have a double heavy duty switched receptacle mounted on my dash that I got for AW direct and if i run it around to the door there is not enough slack to make it look neat. I tried the rear slide window but wire is to heavy gauge... I might run it through top of the door molding but I am nervous its gonna screw up the wire cause its so thick...

7. Metro Lawn

It won't hurt the wire, that is how mine all are. I am running Code 3 (420 Beacon) units.

8. jjklongisland

I will try it, I am running a Federal Signal Highlighter...

9. Metro Lawn

I was digging through some pix on my pc and found this.. you can just make out the cord going through the top of the door opening, not through the window

beaconcord.jpg

10. DeereFarmer

I agree with Metro. I LOVE your signature jklongisland. My favorite line of all time.:drinkup:

11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

there is a few plugs in the floor, most common is the one under the drivers heel area... just pop it out run you plug, when you get in and out the snon that melts into water car also drain out.

12. Metro Lawn

Most cords are not long enough to do that.

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Why doesn't anyone hard wire the lights in?? For everytime I get one of those cheep plug ends they seem to break at the worst time. I could see the reason for the plug on a vehicle which is used part time. But in a plowable storm you must turn the light on and off at least 25 times. Flipping a switch seems like a better solution.

Hey METRO are you still using the old school Dodges?? Recently picked up the 93, super excited to push some snow with it. Just installed the plow two weeks ago. Seeing your fleet of them made me think they are durable cost effective snow pushers.

DAFF

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  14. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Old Dodges are EXCELLENT plow vehicles.
    I'm running a rather ugly, rusty 77 Club Cab...but it pushes snow great! Reliable as the sunrise, and relatively easy to work on when necesary.

As for the original topic,
    I also run a Federal Signal dual rotator....I open the pass. door, toss the wire in, and close the door...then wrap the wire up around the visor, and plug it into my cig lighter. I picked up a new cig plug end that has a switch built into it....I spliced that end onto my light and now I just flick a switch instead of plug/unplug the light.

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Mike you should forward that idea to the guys at signal. The ultimate solution.

That old w350 made it through the storm 10" in all, with a tired trans and after sitting for 1-2 years. Actually the trans seems to be working better and better. Although still revs way to high at55.

DAFF

16. Metro Lawn

Yes, I sure am. This is our current line up:

1986 Dodge D350 - Meyer plow / V Box
    1986 Ford L9000 Dump - Meyer plow - spreader
    1987 Dodge W250 - Meyer
    1988 Dodge W250 - Meyer - V Box
    1989 Dodge W250 - Meyer - V Box
    1989 Dodge W250 - Western - V Box
    1990 Dodge W250 - Blizzard - spreader
    1990 Dodge W250 - Western
    1991 Dodge W350 - Meyer - V Box
    1992 Dodge D350 - V Box
    1993 Dodge Ramcharger - Western
    1995 Chevy C2500 - Western
    1995 Dodge 2500 - Western - spreader
    2005 Dodge 2500 - Western

17. DeereFarmer

Metro, you have a lot of good old iron listed there.

18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ugly step children?

19. Metro Lawn

Yep, just like yours...rofl

Douglas Brothers' Landscaping
    Snow line up
    03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD 6spd 4x4 8' Meyer
    03 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8' Fisher
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 8' Fisher/snow ex 575 spreader
    91 Ford F-350 12' Stake Dump 4x4 9' Meyer/ V-Box Spreader
    91 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 7.5' Western/meyer 3600 spreader

20. jjklongisland

Your the first person that commented on my sig. I guess it goes over alot of peoples head. For those of you who don't know where the saying is from its one of the lines in Kid Rocks "Cocky" song. At least someone noticed it...