1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'89 dodge ram w/318 fuel problem?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by steve89403, Apr 11, 2006.

1. steve89403

steve89403 Junior Member

Going Mad! My '89 Dodge two wheel drive runs like a dream when it's running. Recently started dieing. Doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm going, how warm the engine is, just out of the blue it will simply die. No sputtering, no warning, just quits. If I crank on it a while it will eventually start back up on the third, forth sometimes 10th try, sometimes running just for a few seconds, sometimes runs and won't do it again for another hundred miles. I've replaced the fuel pressure sensor, and a new fuel pump was installed just a year or so ago. I've replaced all vacuum lines. If you spray starting fluid in the intake it runs till the fumes are gone then quits, so evidently it's getting spark. I've cleaned the connections on every electrical thing I can find, and it still does the same thing. I just put in a new coil, all new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc. I'm frustrated to the point of pushing it off a cliff. Help...Someone...Help!

2. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

who did the fuel pump install. We've put new ones in and screw em up and we dont even know it. when you turn your key to the power position, do you hear the fuel pump turn on and prime itself? that would be my guess, and go from there.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My Chevy does the same thing. I have had everything checked and rechecked. We could have demolition derby--I run into yours and you run into mine. lol

4. steve89403

steve89403 Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the fuel pumps can be tricky, so being a cabinet maker and NOT a mechanic, I opted not to do it myself. The guy that did it seems to have adequate abilities for the task, and up to the present the pump has performed perfectly. I can hear it prime when I turn on the ignition. I did, after posting yesterday, pull the wiring connector, cleaned it with brake part cleaner and Q tips, and had no stall-outs today. That doesn't mean it's fixed, but maybe just waiting for a moment when there's no place to pull off the highway before it does it again. Actually, the demolition derby idea is a good one, but I'd better up my insurance policy before hand unless I can find a stand-in driver.

5. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Steve, I Guess I'm Kinda Dealing With The Same Problem As You. I Have An 88 Ramcharger. ( Look In The Equipt And Repair Forum ) You Might Want To Check The Ecm. If The Back Of It Is Bubbled You Have To Get A New One. I Think They Are About 2 Bills If I Remember Correctly.

Good Luck,

Dave

Oh, Also If You Should Find Something Other Than That The Info. Would Be Appreciated.

6. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I know this problem well

I too have a 1989 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton truck. In the last 5 years I have had it towed to 2 shops for a total of 6 times and none ever found the problem. It started when i needed a new fuel pump, after that it started acting up. It would stall and sometime you could start it right up, others times call a tow. The first time the shop thought it needed a better ground to the pump, than it worked. Than it stopped-towed again at the shop it started right up, they left it run for hours trying to see if heating up caused a problem. It went on for years. Most time it would start right up for the mechanices. Finaly after the last time I had my daughter tow me to our lot, it was to the point I was going to rip it apart and fix it or sell off the parts. Start at the fuel starting point, drop the gas tank and the problem was solved. The positive lead to the in tank fuel pump was not conected the female spade plug would lie right next to the male spade on the pump and make contact. Everyonce and a while it would break the conection. I was like this long enough to have the male spade to be worn to about half it's size. As near as I can figure the gas vapors were too dense to ignite as there must have been sparks at times. Since i fixed it I have had nothing but good running for the last 18 monthes.

J & B

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Mine use to cut off when you were just driving down the road. I then put in a new electrical controller box that sits on top of the engine. That helped it some. But it still cut off. So I put in new batteries and new fuel filter/gas cap and now it doesn't cut off going down the road--it cuts off after start up and you drive a few feet down the road. Not every time, but a couple of times a day on the route. Turn it over 2 0r three times and it starts back up. Aggravating to say the least.