1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

89 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 with VERY tired front leafs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by iceracer, Sep 26, 2004.

1. iceracer

iceracer Junior Member
    from midwest

Hi,
    New to forum - picked up 89 dodge 4x4 short box w/318 and meyers plow at auction. Truck runs good but front springs are shot - axle rests on rubber bumpers even after plow is removed! What is most cost effective way to get spring function back - I'm considering hellwig load-pro helper springs at around $200 a pair. Are there other options? would 3/4 ton springs from a bone yard work?
    Thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah you can do that there was another person did this also and it worked out good

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I went to a spring shop and had new heavier spring packs put in for just under $300 I think it was, then later added air shocks to the rear to compensate for the ballast. 85 1/2 ton, went to 3/4 ton springs.

4. iceracer

iceracer Junior Member
    from midwest

Thanks,
    I have an additional question, do the timbren rubber doughnuts which replace the rubber bump stops add more load capacity like the overload springs or are they more like spacers and would result in a very rough ride? Funny thing about the truck now, it really rides nice - till the plow frame hits the road - ouch!
    And also are stock 3/4 ton front leafs the same width as my 1/2 ton (2 1/2")
    thanks again

5. iceracer

iceracer Junior Member
    from midwest

clicked link to meyers on this site - according to them the "clevis height" from ground to c/l of pin that connects a -frame to truck mounting should be 10 1/2" for proper operation! Right now, front axle of truck is on jack stands, and distance is clevis height 12". Truck has 31x10.5 tires 29 1/2" dia off truck and spindles are 16" from the ground. So not counting tire squat, distance from c/l of axle to ground would be 1/2 of tire dia = 14 3/4" so when on the tires again not taking tire squat into the calculation the clevis height would be the distance it is now on the stands (12") minus the difference between the axle c/l and ground on jackstands (16") and 1/2 the tire dia (14 3/4") so 12"-1 1/4" = 10 3/4" again without taking tire squat into account. What I'm getting at is the front springs are real light duty (only 3 leaves) and very fatigued as the passenger side is resting on the rubber snubber and the driver's side only has 1/4" travel remaining. What I'm thinking is the mount looks line it was modified or repaired and maybe the previous owner made the mount shorter to compesate for the soft springs! So now if I raise springs up say 3" will plow geometry be screwed? Another concern is meyers website says the truck should be equipped a 7.5' plow and I have a ST90 whic is a 9' wide unit and probably more weight. Also truck has aluminum wheels and they like to leak randomly and this also is bad for clearance - anyone know of a cure for this - maybe fix a flat or tubes in tires?
    thanks again.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds like th 9' plow is the source of your problem with the springs. The 3/4's should be the same width, as I dont believe my shackles were changed. The tires can be dismounted and the wheels inspected to see if a simple cleaning of the bead area will help them seal. Mine leaked until this was done. Salt packs in there and corrodes the rim. It may or may not help depending on the amount of corrosion. I would think that might be a tough area to seal with slime, as it's toward the center and the product wants to go to the outside by centrifical force. As for the adjustment of the plow frame height-are there no holes available to mount it lower? I take it you mean there isn't. My 7'6" western has series of eight holes on the front frame assy to allow for adjustment of height.

7. iceracer

iceracer Junior Member
    from midwest

Bright Idea - look for 3/4 or 1 ton truck !

Hey - thanks for all the good info! plow is a Meyer ST-90 and at 9' wide it's just to big and heavy for a 1/2 ton dodge. According to Meyer web site, plow to fit my truck should only be 7.5' wide and weigh about 400 lbs less than mine. The thing is this dodge is a really nice little truck 318 v8 geared high for hwy use - no wonder the plow headlights were never connected - I thing the previous owner put a used plow on this truck and then gave up cause it just isn't the right truck to be pushing this plow so I'm going to look for an old Dodge to put the plow on . This truck going to go back on the road. Question are the older 3/4 and 1 ton dodge frames similar to the 1989 1/2 ton so my plow will fit? I have seen old 2wd trucks being cut short and having weight added for plowing how do they work in snow?
    Thanks again - I'm off to clean up those rims! :bday:

8. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

A Meyers ST90 SHOULD be a 7.5' plow, not a 9 footer. I run a ST90 on my 77 Dodge Club Cab 1/2 ton. It plows GREAT. :)

The 3/4 ton springs will swap to your 1/2 ton with no problems (other than old rusty bolts, that is). Also, the main Dodge Truck chassis design changed VERY LITTE from 1972-1993...so practically all suspension type stuff is interchangable throughout the years (i.e. you can put 1972 springs under a 1993 if ya wanted, with no problems)

Happy Plowing. :waving: